Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Miami Beach Tender Access

With little advanced planning I find myself attending a Bitcoin convention at the Miami Beach Convention Center next week.

I now realize finding transient dockage is near impossible and have enlisted a forum member to stand anchor watch and run my crew on the tender to the convention. I realize we can't tie up to the canal seawall and stay. Are there any logical places we could be dropped off in the tender and walk or Uber to the convention?

Thank you in advance for your knowledge and insght.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54 MY with ext.)
    Tampa

Re: Miami Beach Tender Access

You should be able to be dropped off in the Miami beach canal as long as the tender doesn’t remain there

Otherwise Miami Beach marina… they ll charge you a landing fee though which I heard went up into stupid territory recently

I don’t know who asked a couple of weeks ago, but if you anchor off coconut grove you re welcome to dinghy in and tie up to our boat at dinner key for shore access
    Last edited by Pascal; 03-30-2022 at 05:12 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Are you a big Yacht Club member?
    Key Biscayne Yacht Club
    may recognize you and offer a tie up.
    We used to anchor behind Star island and dink up the canal for drop offs.

What about the public boat ramp next to Sunset Harbor Yacht Club?
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

The rest of the story.

Anchored north of Venetian Causeway and used boat ramp at Maurice Gibb Park next to Sunshine YC.

Dock there allows 20 minutes. Life is good for crewed yachts where this isn't a problem.

Used Collins canal to get to Miami Convention Center. That worked great as an easy commute and drop off.

Publix Dock is also real convenient. My crew learned that if you take a shopping cart outside of the parking lot an alarm goes off and the wheels lock. They also learned Publix responds by sending people out to help load your groceries into your tender. Tremendous customer service training.

Miami Police were friendly and actually ticketed some jet skiers who were harassing the anchorage.

Overall, we really enjoyed attending an event at the Miami Convention Center and anchoring out with views of the skyline and would recommend it to anyone. I had a Forum member stay aboard and stand anchor watch while we were away at the convention. I highly recommend having someone capable of resetting the anchor aboard at all times for when you drag, not if. Good thing Sam's maintains a Forum where you can find such people.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

So after the convention what do you think Buy Bitcoin ?

Since you asked...

I am CEO of a pubic company engaged in Bitcoin mining. We are accumulating Bitcoin through mining activities that we believe will be profitable subject to the disclosures and risk factors in our public filings.

Bitcoin conventions are for Bitcoin believers. Several speakers forecasted values of $1m by 2029 with various hurdles along the way. The case for price appreciation is best made for the assets function as a storage of value with designed scarcity that is projected to become desirable for diversified asset class portfolios to hold positions of 50 to 200 basis points similar to diversification into precious metals or FX exposure. For this to happen, accounting standards will need to be developed for holding Bitcoin that better reflect its value. Presently, Bitcoin accounting for public companies requires marking it down to market but never back up to market. FASB, which regulates accounting in the US, just this month placed Bitcoin on its research agenda to begin developing accounting standards. The process will take 2-4 years. So the tremendous inflows from institutions like mutual funds and pensions will not occur until the accounting standards are in place and this probably does create a long hold buy opportunity for investors that believe Bitcoin will become a widely held asset class for institutional investors.

Hope you aren't sorry for asking. We cruised home from Miami to Tampa playing a game with boat purchases at varying Bitcoin prices. I don't know how a more expensive boat could be anymore fun than this trip.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54 with ext)
    Tampa