Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1971 47’ Chris Craft Commander

SeaEric suggested I post this here since there seems to be a lot of crossover between Hatt’s and classic Chris-Crafts. This is my old boat that I restored before I bought the Hatteras, and is now for sale because I need two 50’ boats like I need a hole in my head.

1971 47’ Commander, Detroit Diesel 8v53na’s, less than 100 hours since inframes. New phasor generator. New raymarine electronics including dual touchscreen plotters w/ autoroute, HD Radar, autopilot, sounder, pitometer, fish finder, anemometer, new led spotlight plus I restored the old one. 2 new Vitrifrigo refrigerators with remote mounted compressors in the engine room. All 3 a/c's are new. New toilets. Oil Xchanger system on the engines and generator. New mattresses. New watermaker, which if it's not important to you I'd like to move over to the Hatt. Boat has been awlgripped and presents well. New teak swim platform and ladder. New upholstery. Canvas covers for everything from the windshield to helm to seating. New props and shafts a year ago, plus a set of spares. Unlike most listings I'm not just saying this stuff, all the receipts for everything come with the boat.

Here is a video of the boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t6sIsfoxi0

Turn the keys and go. Asking $75k.

I had a guy who was going to buy it and he had it surveyed, and I did the recommendations. There were only two of any real concern which were a slow leak that turned out to be an improperly-sealed old through hull that had been previously removed and leaking rudder posts, which were fixed. He also insisted on new bottom paint which I also did, only to then change his mind and buy a 42' Hatters LRC trawler instead. So the nutshell is 4 week old bottom paint.

The negatives are 2 missing railing pass-through gate hinges, which a buddy of mine is sending me replacements, the engines should be painted if you want a showroom engine room, and the forward toilet was broken which will be fixed before sale. Things usually bug me more than other people, but better to be upfront about it.
    Last edited by cww; 03-29-2022 at 07:32 PM.

Re: 1971 47’ Chris Craft Commander

I remember your Chris. Very nice.

Beautiful boat and a bargain, with all that work already done.

31 years ago I bought the boat that Eric advised me to get- a 1971 36 Hatteras. Still have her. I guess I did buy my last boat then, although it wasn't the first. But, no question, the best of all of them.

She sure is beautiful and built to last. Great video, somebody is getting a real bargain given all the high cost labor intensive work and parts you've accomplished. I've been in similar place with restoration of my 1976 43DC over about 10 years (also agree, autopilot one of the best upgrades!), even have her on market for similar price. Extra 5' of your 47' would be nice and I would seriously consider, but temporarily downsizing to 17' whaler and get the local fishing bug out of my system in a few years and probably start again. Next time I will buy a boat already done like yours and just maintain like I'm currently doing with my 43 DC. You don't know how good it is not have to restore everything until you've crossed that finish line and a few years go by and realize you can just enjoy the boat.
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

Thank you guys for the compliments, I appreciate it. I did a lot of work to her and proud of how she turned out, always nice when other people say it turned out nice. She’s a fine boat, and I want her to go to a good home.

6. Re: 1971 47’ Chris Craft Commander

I literally had just told my son that I was going to buy this boat, as I’ve always loved this model. He looked at the video, and said “uh dad, did you see the flag he was flying?”. Looked again, then surmised the engines were probably built back wrong. Hard pass, but you gotta love the truth in advertising. Saved me a lot of time.

I was puzzled by this flag remark which was too subtle for me, so rewatched the video.

For those who care (and I don't), there is a Biden flag at about 4:55.

(Just to save anyone's time who may be wondering...)

DAN

Great looking boat and video. Clean the boat out, get a ID to stage her, go up on the price, and reshoot the video or at least the interior portion. We have a 44 Marinette here under contract for 165ish right now.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

What Eddie said---sharp boat!

DAN