Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Re: Tampa to Fort Lauderdale

I just did this trip both directions. I did not go thru the lake, but I went around Islamorada. It was a little further in distance, but it was worth the trip. I liked not having to wait on locks and get put aside for commercial trafic that has priority. We stoped a Holiday Isle and had a few drinks at the Tiki bar adn did not ever have to wait on anyone. We went in at Yacht Channel on the back side of Islamarada which is a little hairy, but if you have some advice it is easily navigable. I did it and was a little nervous because I did not like seeing the bottom so shallow, but I eventually got over it.

The only downfall is that if it gets rough on the atlantic side, you have to take it, but if you are going to Ft. Lauderdale, then it is the same because you have to go outside to get there from Stuart. The whole trip was under 300miles.

On the way back we went past islamorada to Marco, which is a really nice place to stop and I wish we had more time to hang out, but then came on home the next day.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

Re: Tampa to Fort Lauderdale

i did the mini loop a couple of years ago... down the coast to the keys, up the yacht channel and the west coast, the OWW and back down to miami.

the OWW is much shorter. no wait at the locks, 10 or 15' max. Water lever wasnt' an issue crossing the lake, 10 kts wind no issue.

at hull speed, it was a two day run (overnight at the city docks on the west side of the lake, then across and down to Palm beach the second day.

on the east coast, staying inside in the keys and up the bay doens't take longer, it's all well marked, shallowest spot is just under 6'. From miami on north, outside is obviously much faster due to nwz.

if you have time and can stop along, the keys route is nice, otherwise the OWW is much faster and still a pleasant cruise. it's a part of florida that's really different from the rest.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat