Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Tampa to Fort Lauderdale

I just purchased my first Hatteras this past week in Tampa (41' 1963 Double Cabin--and she is a beauty) I am bringing her from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale in a few weeks with a buddy thru Lake Okeechobee and not around thru the keys. My question is: who has made this trip and is there any good advice for someone who has never made this trip before. Just looking for some good advice from one boater to another. Thanks

Re: Tampa to Fort Lauderdale

Check with EACH LOCK -- some undergo maintenance and close at various times during the year.

Thanks...that is great advice. Much appreciated!
    Rian

I make that trip every year and think it is really interesting and fun.

I prefer the rim route even though it is a little longer. Going through the middle of the lake is like an open ocean passage because you can not see land. It also can get real choppy with even 10 knots of wind because the lake is only like 11 feet deep.

I have done the locks with a 10 year old. Just hold onto the lines and keep your fenders out. It's better to be second in so you can raft up and not deal with the concrete. There is a lot of current when they open the doors and they make you turn off your engine if there are manatees locking through with you. It's kind of a rush to have to fire up the engines and get control in that current but always doable.

I like staying in Clewiston and Indian Town the best. Pahokee is worth the visit only to see people living like the Dominican Republic right in Palm Beach County. Moore Haven is quaint and dockage is either free or not much. I had to chase a gator away from the power hook up once and you can loose a lot of blood if you don't wear mosquito repellent.

The trip is fascinating when you see miles of cows and nothing. Then every now and then a humongous estate with a 100 foot yacht tied up at the end of a private runway will appear.

Enjoy. I will be crossing the other direction in about a month.

Bruce
    1976 43 DCMY

Thanks Bruce!! appreciated information... I forgot about the mosquitos!!!!
    Rian

I made this trip 2 years ago. Rim rout is very shallow, i took middle of the lake rout. we went from stuart to Captiva and back. lake levels are posted daily on the lake's web site. recommend you look up the site, also all 5 locks have a web site and they will give you the status. Rocky Reef is on the NW side of the lake, lime stone reef. this is the biggest hazzard, dont try it at night. your boat will clear all the draw bridges with the exception of the swing bridge at IndianTown. we got stuck there for a while. It was dinner time and the bridge attendant was not there, keep calling him but he never answered. Eventualy he showed up. Anyhow Ft. Myers Municipal Marina is very nice and recommend you stay there, mabe tampa to ft myers first day. from there it is about 10-11 hours to stuart.

St Lucie river is very shallow, stick to channel very closly, watch for inside corner shoals between I 95 and Martin Downs Blvd Bridge.

I WAS ALSO INTRESTED IN MAKEING THAT TRIP IN JULY / AUGUST BUT WILL I MAKE IT WITH 5FT DRAFT AND 22 FT HIGHT ? ?? LET ME KNOW WHAT DATES YOU GO ?

The 22 foot height is definitely not a problem. I draw a little under 4 and have never had any trouble but 1 foot can make a difference. My cruising guide says 6 feet was the minimum.

I will be heading west bound around July 15th and will keep my eye on the depth finder with your draft in mind and will let you know what I learn.

Bruce

Thanks That Would Realy Help. Good Luck

I should have done a little research before posting.

Here is the site http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/conops...s/navbulln.htm

The rim route is closed and Route 1 across the center is carrying 6 feet with the lake level at 12 feet.

As of today, the website indicates all locks are operational.

It's been raining steadily for days so maybe things are improving but I am not looking forward to staring that closely at the depth sounder.

Bruce