Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yard issue

Re: Yard issue

I would fix it if they don't/won't. I would put plywood under the stands and tighten them up until level. We've gotten shafts pulled/installed by tilting the boat to one side with just adjusting the stands to get the extra clearance, so you can definitely level it up by cranking them up/down.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Should our forum member notify his insurance company? His boat is potentially in some peril, from the sound of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Should our forum member notify his insurance company? His boat is potentially in some peril, from the sound of it.
    This could be a great idea.
    Yes, get your insurance writers involved. Further that CYA but don't touch those stands.

Probably in your yard agreement is a line not to touch them also.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 03-21-2022 at 09:45 PM.

Personally, I would not pull a stand to add plywood. I would add a stand, with plywood, right next to an existing stand. Then I would pull the original stand and add plywood to it, and repeat the process until all the stands had plywood.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I'm with Captain Ralph on this one. I think if the boat owner does anything with the stands, it potentially makes him liable- and it also provides a path for both the yard and his insurance company to evade responsibility for a loss. Perhaps I don't give insurance companies enough credit for understanding that he's trying to protect his vessel, but I have a difficult time having faith in them, based on my prior experience in non-marine situations.

While I'm sorry for the yard's misfortunes, I think our member is right to be concerned and to act on behalf of his boat. I would do the same. I would not, however, place the stands myself or move anything the yard put there.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I'm with Captain Ralph on this one. I think if the boat owner does anything with the stands, it potentially makes him liable- and it also provides a path for both the yard and his insurance company to evade responsibility for a loss. Perhaps I don't give insurance companies enough credit for understanding that he's trying to protect his vessel, but I have a difficult time having faith in them, based on my prior experience in non-marine situations.

While I'm sorry for the yard's misfortunes, I think our member is right to be concerned and to act on behalf of his boat. I would do the same. I would not, however, place the stands myself or move anything the yard put there.
    Exactly
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Do not touch those stands.
    Any damage will then be your fault, even if not.
    You have a verbal from the yard, type it up and have them sign it if it will help you feel better but do not touch those stands your self.

The beauty of on the hill, the most weight is on the keel.

If you took daily pictures, this may help CYA.

Having worked yards and living at one for 10 years, I have witnessed enough.
    Yeah no! Look at your contract I can almost guarantee the yard has no liability for anything. If you don’t know what your doing find someone who does. Grab one of the yard guys and slip him a 20 dollar bill. I learned from my dad that a little grease goes a long way especially in the yard. For those who are offended by gratuity’s I was 21 when we bought the Endless Summer I ran the boat all over Lauderdale getting it ready for NE canyon fishing. Nearly every yard I went to especially Broward when I hauled slipped me an envelope “for the captain”. Broward handed me an envelope with $500 in it after a haul out. Now that’s a little overboard. But I don’t have a problem greasing the yard guys.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

You can wait for it fall over, or you can take action. No one looks out for your interests like you do.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

oOnce you touch the stands without notifying your insurance company it is your (and your insurance companies) responsibility and you may let the yard off the hook.

I would notify my insurance company and have them bring a surveyor out to the yard to inspect ASAP.
    I would also notify my admiralty lawyer about this. There are very good ones like Rob Moss in Palm Beach.

I had my boat blow of the stands in a windstorm a number of years ago. It was not properly braced tue to defective stands. My insurance company paid in full ($144,000) and subrigated against the yards' insurance company and obtained a 70% recovery. They gave me 70% of deductible back.

The above being said, you are supposed to correct a situation if you see a problem but only after you notify your insurance carrier (in writing or email) and obtain permission to correct but I would only do this under the guidance of a surveyor. Insurance companies have these people on retainer. Also bring a admiralty lawyer into the situation to protect yourself.

A boat falling over is a big money repair.

Spin

Remember, jack stands are only for keeping the boat in balance, not to support the weight. Look at the weight capacity of the stand compared to the weight of the boat. Use a level to get in balance to support most weight on the keel.
    BobWaz
    1987 40 DC #322
    Knot Again!
    Champlain, NY