Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yard issue

Yard issue

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on this situation...

I'm still on the hard up north here, had the bottom blasted in the fall and have a bit of work to do before going back in the water in a bit.

The guy that runs the yard here was involved in a terrible explosion / fire here in Jan, and hopefully he recovers.

The travel lift was damaged, and they are currently working on it, so there is no way to move boats right at the moment.

The issue is, I am in a new part of the yard and my stands are shifting a small amount. They appear to have sunk on the port side perhaps an inch into the ground.

I thought I felt the boat move in some heavy wind and found that on the starboard side of the boat the stands where barely touching the hull.

Which means it is leaning slightly to the port side, and those stands are taking any weight.

I tightened the starboard stands up, and contacted the yard this morning and they think it is fine.

This is a big operation, overall, but with the loss of the yard guy and their faciilties, there is not a lot of attention on these types of things right now.

There is also no plywood under the stands and I would think there should be. There never has been.

Like I said, I talked to them today and they went out and took a look and thought it was fine and said they would keep an eye on it, but, I feel like I should put plywood under the stands, and a friend of mine thinks that I should have them do that, etc.

Just curious if anyone has any further insight into this issue.

It's just tough because of the situation here with the facility and staff, but I don't want my boat falling over, of course...
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Re: Yard issue

When I blocked my old boat where the ground was soft, I definitely put plywood or some kind of wood under the jack stands to spread the load over the soft ground. Once I even used concrete patio blocks, then put the wood on top of that, and finally the jack stands.

Just be extremely careful when messing with them. I had a friend that lost their father when he moved stands and the boat tipped over on him..

The yard itself is owned by a giant commercial operation that actually owns the port next door and they expanded the boat storage area last year and I am in the new part.

I am pretty convinced to basically just get my own plywood and have them use it now, and in the future.

It's disconcerting to feel your boat move in the wind...

And even though there are 5 stands on each side, it's mostly the port side supporting the weight right now...

BTW, that is terrible about your friend's father.
    Last edited by brettportzer; 03-21-2022 at 11:27 AM.

You could treat it like storm prep. Is there any way to tie it down on stbd? anchor set abeam and cleated to midships?
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Do not touch those stands.
    Any damage will then be your fault, even if not.
    You have a verbal from the yard, type it up and have them sign it if it will help you feel better but do not touch those stands your self.

The beauty of on the hill, the most weight is on the keel.

If you took daily pictures, this may help CYA.

Having worked yards and living at one for 10 years, I have witnessed enough.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 03-21-2022 at 12:19 PM.

Would you recommend asking THEM to add plywood underneath the stands?

Like I said, it hasn't moved a tremendous amount, but I am of course the interested party here..!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Do not touch those stands.
    Any damage will then be your fault, even if not.
    You have a verbal from the yard, type it up and have them sign it if it will help you feel better but do not touch those stands your self.

The beauty of on the hill, the most weight is on the keel.

If you took daily pictures, this may help CYA.

Having worked yards and living at one for 10 years, I have witnessed enough.

You could ask them to add more stands and put plywood under the new ones.

How soon until you launch? Hopefully, not too far off.

Well that is the issue too, at least a month, but partly I have work to do on the hull, and partly their travel lift is being repaired currently.

There was an explosion in their maintenance shop, whole building was destroyed, half of the power is out of commission, the travel lift is currently inoperable, etc...

Not an ideal situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    You could ask them to add more stands and put plywood under the new ones.

How soon until you launch? Hopefully, not too far off.

Don’t do it yourself. Liability rests on them now, but if you move a stand or add plywood you take on the responsibility if she falls.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I agree with Capt Ralph, but if they don’t do something , you will have to . Just because it’s their responsibility , doesn’t mean that their insurance is up to par , especially after the explosion debacle.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL