Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation curved plastic windshields 1963 41" Double Cabin

I own a 1963 41' Double Cabin that needs both (port and starbord) curved plastic windshields replaced. Plastic is spidering. Anyone know who would use origional pieces and mold new ones? Please email me at:
    al33064@bellsouth.net Thanks

Re: curved plastic windshields 1963 41" Double Cabin

We spoke with Hatteras about the curved windshields approximately a year ago. I don't recall getting any more information from Hat other than they don't make it, and don't have the molds anymore, though forum member "egaito" may remember something more since he was the one who made the call to Hatteras about that. Seems that someone may have suggested looking for a vendor who makes airplane windshields - I'm just not sure.

I have found that the spider webbing in these windshields is very common as they age and usually begins at the base of the windshield, working its way up. I have one that has just barely begun to show this symptom. Just about every 58MY I looked at during my boat shopping days had the spider webbing. The exceptions were the ones that had not lived their entire lives in Florida or some other hot climate. Makes me wonder if heat rather than just pure age is the cause.

So.....if you find a source via email, PLEASE POST IT HERE! I'd like to tuck that info away for when I need it. Meanwhile, I'll pick egaito's brain and see what he remembers about this. Thanks.

Ang

My company has a vacuum former. We could make a mold and reform your curved windshield provided no one piece was longer than 12' or taller than 24".

garyd

Bummer, I'm not sure about the 41DC, but mine are 28" x 63".

Ang

Try MEYER PLASTICS INC. I believe they have a plant in Ft Wayne Indiana that can mold plastics. You might try their web site meyerplastics.com

Hope this helps, Russ

Check out this Ebay site while it is still up. This guy claims he specializes in plastic parts for Hatteras Yachts. He even says he can make the curved windshields.
    His name and number is: Cesany Plastics, Inc. 954-568-2002
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HATTE...spagenameZWDVW
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 07-24-2006 at 09:49 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI