Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boat Bathrooms

Hybrid View

Boat Bathrooms

So, after a bunch of issues with the Vacuflush setups on the boat, I decided to replace the toilets with Raritan Marine Elegance toilets.

That is all well and good, should be a big improvement, happy with that so far.

However, because of the whole "while you are in there" thing... This is turning into a more extensive bathroom remodel.

I have uncovered pretty nice wood underneath the wallpaper, and I am doing the floors with Nautikflor, however, I am worried that the overall look is going to be too dark.

Haven't decided what to do about the counter, sink, and backsplash yet, as that is formica I doubt that would come off like the wall paper, although I guess possibly.

Here are a couple pics, one is how the fwd head looked when we bought the boat, carpet and all, and then a couple of photos of what I am doing now.

One photo shows the wood, and the other shows the floor underneath where the toilet was, after I removed the weird resin foot that they made when they replaced the original galleymaid stuff, I assume.

Anyone have any pics with wood walls that they like the looks of, overall?
    Attached Images
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Re: Boat Bathrooms

We went with porcelain tile over the top of the formica. Looks great, very inexpensive and was super easy. We did both baths and kitchen counters this way. The tiles were some closeouts from home depot $1 sq ft, took a special
    glue and contact paper. Also we went with stainless steel backsplash.

.kitchen.jpgbanos.jpg
    Last edited by Blowncar; 03-14-2022 at 02:48 PM.

The regulars will remember me finding how a heat gun works wonders on 80s adhesives. It was the mirror adhesive, hard as granite, which amazingly fell right off with a little heat. I wonder if the formica will come off easily as well?

That wood looks so nice, I can't wait to see if that's what awaits under the wallpaper in mine. I'll wait until this summer when an air conditioned job is in order.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

I glued a newer more modern pattern laminate right over top of my counter tops. My head is exactly the same as yours. I think it would be easier than trying to remove.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    I glued a newer more modern pattern laminate right over top of my counter tops.
    Walt Hoover
    That's not a bad idea.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    I glued a newer more modern pattern laminate right over top of my counter tops. My head is exactly the same as yours. I think it would be easier than trying to remove.

Walt Hoover
    Have any pics? About to start one @ a time reno ours. looking for ideas.
    Thanks
    James
    53' MY "No Regrets"
    I.O.P, S.C.

Is it necessary or recommended to replace your waste lines also ,when installing new toilets?

Unless you know they were just recently replaced, yes.