Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

83 0r 84 55 Convertible cheap!

Have a friend locally that acquired this boat. To be honest just to flip. Had a buyer but took so long to get title through the yard via liens that now he has it but original buyer already has another boat. I have no horse in this race. Just posting in case it is interesting to anyone looking for a large convertible. So here's the deal as I know it.

Fairly clean and nice interior. Some upgrades like granite
    12-71 TI's
    Some new AC units
    ETC.

Owner abandoned the project. Yard took ownership. On the dry now. Friend now owns it. Many unknowns but a major issue was electrolysis that has damaged through hulls. So could be shaft/prop damage. This boat can be bought on the cheap but needs a full inspection to determine what works and what doesn't. If the engines and generators check out, interior and exterior are decent, may be a worthwhile project. But it is a big ass boat.

Anyway if interested I can put you in touch with the owner. Then that's the part where I tap out.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Re: 83 0r 84 55 Convertible cheap!

Oops, double post. Jim please delete.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

some good information here. If you delete this thread, you should move your info to the other thread.

Jim, please delete my 2 threads.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Done. I hope someone from the HOF gets this, so we can watch it being restored to use.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Have a friend locally that acquired this boat. To be honest just to flip. Had a buyer but took so long to get title through the yard via liens that now he has it but original buyer already has another boat. I have no horse in this race. Just posting in case it is interesting to anyone looking for a large convertible. So here's the deal as I know it.Fairly clean and nice interior. Some upgrades like granite12-71 TI'sSome new AC unitsETC.Owner abandoned the project. Yard took ownership. On the dry now. Friend now owns it. Many unknowns but a major issue was electrolysis that has damaged through hulls. So could be shaft/prop damage. This boat can be bought on the cheap but needs a full inspection to determine what works and what doesn't. If the engines and generators check out, interior and exterior are decent, may be a worthwhile project. But it is a big ass boat.Anyway if interested I can put you in touch with the owner. Then that's the part where I tap out.
    Does your friend have it listed on Craigslist now?I reached out but received no answer.Thx

Yes, back on Craigslist. Buyers keep backing out when they get crazy estimates on what the engines may or may not need. One is supposedly rebuilt but not finished or started. The other...Questionable. Interior does not match mechanical condition. Not great but certainly not too bad. Kinda decent. There is a steering issue and some frozen cables. Exterior will definitely shine.

Worth a look but only if you can understand the price point and existing conditions. If the one engine is truly rebuilt and in good condition I would think 120K or so on top of buy price and ya got a nice running 55. Then add 40K for cosmetics and a new enclosure.

IMO better to buy a pig and fix up right than buy a pig with lipstick and be in way deeper. FYI I know current owner but no horse in this race.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Current owners number is 727-542-8363
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MarTex View Post
    Thanks!
    There is another thread regarding this boat, but you'll have to look for it. I was the last person to run that boat under its own power, and that was in 2009. That too is the age of the fuel in the tanks as we topped them off before heading out into the GOM. You can find that thread by searching "Moving a 55C From Fort Myers To Chicago".

You won't be able to get an estimate that means anything until someone gets into BOTH those engines. As stated, the port was rebuilt several years ago, but there was never even any oil put in it. It was previously an absolute mess as in cracked heads and 10 of the 12 pistons having cracked rings. The starboard ran fine, but it can't be that far behind unless it was rebuilt at a different time. Someone had turned up the HP and fished her hard.

I haven't been on the boat since Christmas of 2017, but the interior was in great shape. Not sure why it would have gone downhill unless it developed leaks. It has two gensets, and one was inoperable when purchased. AFAIK the neither the good generator nor the starboard engine has been started in many years.

Bottom line is, you are dealing with MANY unknowns with this boat. I would honestly be tempted to replace the thru hulls and make her a floating condo as she has been for many years. Outside that, be prepared to spend some big bucks to make sure she's right.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93