Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: R22 Air compressor

Eric,

What's wrong with it? Leaking freon?

If you are planning on keeping the boat awhile I would consider an A/C unit that will last.
    Anything from Marine air, Wabasto, or dometic I would definitely avoid. If you just want a well built
    solid unit that is not expensive take a look at Flagship Marine in Florida. Much better than the Domestic unit you are looking at. Best customer service in the business.
    If you are willing to spend a little more, the top of the line is Frigomar. Variable speed compressor, excellent construction, and inverter based technology which will save you about 30% on your electric bill. I have these on my other boat and they are awesome units, probably last twice as long as anything else as well.

I would take the compressor if its not spoken for yet.ThanksPierreInvictus

Quote Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
    If you are planning on keeping the boat awhile I would consider an A/C unit that will last.
    Anything from Marine air, Wabasto, or dometic I would definitely avoid. If you just want a well built
    solid unit that is not expensive take a look at Flagship Marine in Florida. Much better than the Domestic unit you are looking at. Best customer service in the business.
    If you are willing to spend a little more, the top of the line is Frigomar. Variable speed compressor, excellent construction, and inverter based technology which will save you about 30% on your electric bill. I have these on my other boat and they are awesome units, probably last twice as long as anything else as well.
    I'm not sure if you directed this at me, but I have already puchased the unit that is being installed. And it it NOT a Dometic. I linked what i'm installing in #4 previous response.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    Eric,

What's wrong with it? Leaking freon?
    No, it cools fine. It's original 1966 equipment and the fans/air movement isn't optimal. I'll also upgrade controls and getting the compressor out of the engineroom will free up some valuable real estate. Pricey boat upgrades propel me in the direction of dying with a zero balance.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Pricey boat upgrades propel me in the direction of dying with a zero balance.
    Naw, Grossly in debt for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Naw, Grossly in debt for us.
    Since I have no heirs, grossly in debt would probably work just as well.
    Eric

No, it cools fine. It's original 1966 equipment and the fans/air movement isn't optimal. I'll also upgrade controls and getting the compressor out of the engineroom will free up some valuable real estate. Pricey boat upgrades propel me in the direction of dying with a zero balance.
    If this is annoying, ignore me because maybe you already made up your mind regardless and don't want to hear it after you already bought it. But if the system is working fine then there is an adapter module you can buy that lets you run the old blue cruisairs off the updated SMX-II and newer controllers without rewiring anything. My whole boat has had that done, and it works great. The old 3 knob controls, the fan speed being stuck at +/-70% of max and the knob only adjusting it slightly is a common complaint. Those controls just don't give you a lot of variation in the fan speed.

Since I have no heirs, grossly in debt would probably work just as well.
    Heirs?? My step-son will deny ever knowing me.

I'll have one available in about a month. It's old but seems to work fine. I'm going to a self contained unit due to issues with evaporator and fans. I'll advise when I have it out. BTW it will be free if you pay shipping. I'm in Md.
    Thanks, but I found on local this past weekend.