Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

R22 Air compressor

Looking for 16,000 btu Dometic compressor, R22, 110 volt

Re: R22 Air compressor

I'll have one available in about a month. It's old but seems to work fine. I'm going to a self contained unit due to issues with evaporator and fans. I'll advise when I have it out. BTW it will be free if you pay shipping. I'm in Md.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    I'll have one available in about a month. It's old but seems to work fine. I'm going to a self contained unit due to issues with evaporator and fans. I'll advise when I have it out. BTW it will be free if you pay shipping. I'm in Md.
    What unit are you going with and where are you putting it?
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

This: https://citimarinestore.com/en/ctm-m...l_and_cable-no It's going where the existing split system evaporator is located - Stbd fwd salon wall.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SeaEric; 03-09-2022 at 06:36 PM.
    Eric

I’m looking to do the same, curious how much will need to be modified to fit it in that wall space.

a lot of room behind the wall. i kept the split, but that was a while ago.
    with the current technology would probably would go with a self contained now.
    what i did change was routing the output to the top of the cabinet.
    i lost a small part at the back of the kitchen cabinet to do it but the air distribution is much better.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

Quote Originally Posted by brettportzer View Post
    I’m looking to do the same, curious how much will need to be modified to fit it in that wall space.
    Assuming space is adequate you will have to route water (cooling) hoses to the pump, possible along the same route the refrigerant lines are running now. You would remove the latter. Depending on wire size you may have to upgrade the electrical supply as right now it is only powering a fan, whereas you would have to power the compressor/fan combo. You may or may not be able to use existing control wiring to the new thermostat, although I suspect it's going to come with a nice CAT-6 cable which you will have to snake.......
    Last edited by oscarvan; 03-10-2022 at 09:28 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Assuming space is adequate you will have to route water (cooling) hoses to the pump, possible along the same route the refrigerant lines are running now. You would remove the latter. Depending on wire size you may have to upgrade the electrical supply as right now it is only powering a fan, whereas you would have to power the compressor/fan combo. You may or may not be able to use existing control wiring to the new thermostat, although I suspect it's going to come with a nice CAT-6 cable which you will have to snake.......
    Removal of the old setup, and then cabinet modification looks like the two hardest parts.

Water supply and outlet are good from that spot on the boat, but it seems like most of the self contained units are slightly too big for the space that the evaporator currently takes up.

Not that it won't fit, but that what is framed in is like an inch too narrow, which seems like it will necessitate removing the plywood from the wall and reworking the shelving inside a little bit.

The new unit may draw less, though, as they seem to mostly have rotary compressors as opposed to piston ones on the old split systems. I've heard that rotaries are quieter and draw less current.

Quote Originally Posted by brettportzer View Post
    It seems like most of the self contained units are slightly too big for the space that the evaporator currently takes up.

Not that it won't fit, but that what is framed in is like an inch too narrow, which seems like it will necessitate removing the plywood from the wall and reworking the shelving inside a little bit.
    This is why God invented sawzalls, rotozips and fire axes. And talented cabintmakers.
    Eric