Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 53 Hatteras for sale in Louisville, KY

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post
    I have been following that boat, although have not called. Engine hours on meters are 877 and 1,438. Gennie hours 204+. Certainly bears verification and validation of hours and their basis, which is low by normal standards for the year of boat. The ER is quite clean in appearance, as is the general interior. The Gennie looks new(er). The controls appear to have been upgraded to electronic. Has a Tank Tender., which is nice.

No pics of hull/bottom paint condition- always important. No pics of the Winlass uncovered. Has a Bow Thruster, which some may desire.

I don't think it is a "run away fast boat", as looks good to me, at the distance of its posting.
    The broker said one engine was rebuilt and the gennie was replaced. Hopefully going to look this weekend.

Thanks for all the replies and advice! Here is my plan. Please let me know if you would do additional steps.
    Just a little info on me. I have owned boats for 15yrs the latest is a gibson houseboat, I did an extensive rebuild to it (stringers, transom, bulk heads, deck) so I have some experience with fiberglass and wood. Not claiming to be an expert. Have worked on gas motors my whole life but never touched a diesel, understand how they work but never done the work.

We are waiting on the broker to confirm if we can view the boat on Sunday. Plan to get the family on the boat to see if it feels right and then a possible pre-survey sea trial.

On the sea trial will look at engines for any leaks, sounds, vibration and temp. Looking at the photo of the glass helm the temps were 104, oil press 32, 38, alt volt 27.5 with idle 480, 520rpm. Do these numbers look correct? Is there a manual or video I can get to educate myself on the Detroit 8v71ti? We will see if the boat can reach 19knts. What other items should I confirm on the sea trial? (Electronics are dead, GPS, autopilot, radar)

Should I see water in the bilge or is this a sign of trouble. (on a gibson its a sign of trouble)

One soft spot was reported on the flybridge.

Will look at the following as my pre-survey check list.
    All motors for leaks, stains, or vibrations, maintenance logs
    Check bilges for oil, diesel, blackwater
    Check all AC for proper operation
    Bow thruster proper operation
    Windlass for proper operation
    Walk decks for soft spots
    Water pump for proper operation
    Water heater for proper operation and corrosion at bottom
    Flush all toilets and listen to pump
    Run all showers, sinks and check drain pumps

I was on this boat last fall. Decided to walk away.
    The bridge deck is soft in large spots (port side of flybride, and forward of flybridge). I assume it could be $20k-30K+ repair (professionally done).
    Water intrusion in anchor locker (possible pulpit repair/wet core)
    It has tons of deferred maintenance.
    No maintenance records (oil filter shows genny oil hasn't been changed since 2019)
    If you are up for a project boat, take a look. I wasn't.
    Port engine rebuilt locally about 8-10 years ago I think. I have copy of receipt.
    TNT lift is broken (tied up with ratchet strap - TNT rep said could be $150 rebuild kit, or $2500 cylinder - based on the boat, I assume the latter).

If I think of more, I will post.

Listing broker was pretty useless.

Let me know if you have more questions.
    Last edited by tgotch; 03-04-2022 at 12:40 PM.

Most Hatts I've been on have less than dry bilges. Not necessarily a sign of structural issues (it rarely is on these boats) but definitely an indication of needed maintenance.

Is there a manual or video I can get to educate myself on the Detroit 8v71ti
    There are TONS of videos on the venerable two stroke Detroit Diesels on Youtube. One of the most informing sources is actually a dude who works on old bus conversions with these engines. MCI, Wanderlodge, Scenic Cruisers etc etc. Though there are differences with the marine versions, the basic engines are similar enough. His channel is here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/BusGreaseMonkey
    Last edited by oscarvan; 03-04-2022 at 01:13 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

After reading some of the comments now I know why the price is so low. If you’re good with fiberglass replacing the core is not that big of a deal. Leaks are not that big of a deal either because are usually come in from hoses rudder logs or shafts. My bilge is bone dry. I did have numerous leaks when I first bought the boat and found most of them in the bathrooms and under the sinks. You’re going to find oil in the bilges because that’s what Detroit diesels do. Once you get them cleaned and maintained they’re easy to keep nice and clean. You didn’t mention anything about start up and if there’s a lot of smoke. Take a look at that when you first start up. When you haul the boat check for blisters. That could be very expensive.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Great post ! Lots of great information.

Quote Originally Posted by tgotch View Post
    I was on this boat last fall. Decided to walk away.
    The bridge deck is soft in large spots (port side of flybride, and forward of flybridge). I assume it could be $20k-30K+ repair (professionally done).
    Water intrusion in anchor locker (possible pulpit repair/wet core)
    It has tons of deferred maintenance.
    No maintenance records (oil filter shows genny oil hasn't been changed since 2019)
    If you are up for a project boat, take a look. I wasn't.
    Port engine rebuilt locally about 8-10 years ago I think. I have copy of receipt.
    TNT lift is broken (tied up with ratchet strap - TNT rep said could be $150 rebuild kit, or $2500 cylinder - based on the boat, I assume the latter).

If I think of more, I will post.

Listing broker was pretty useless.

Let me know if you have more questions.
    Thanks for posting, this is really good info! I was expecting a project boat based on the price and time on the market. But after rebuilding a Gibson houseboat I am familiar with wet core and already setup with a few thousand in supplies and tools.

A cold start is very informative. As in, put your hand on each engine and verify that it is in fact COLD and hasn't been run for a few days. And then see how quickly it starts, and how much it smokes and what color. And if it clears.

Is it unusual to ask for a pre- survey sea trial during the sales process ? If the owner or broker does not want pre-survey sea trial, should you be suspect of the condition of the yacht,of course with the buyer paying for the expenses ?

It may be somewhat unusual, but not only was that what I did prior to purchase, but I paid for fuel to take the boat out for a run for an hour without putting down a brokers deposit. After being satisfied that there were certain things that needed to be fixed, like a pretty good strbd vibration, I started the negotiation by giving a deposit. An hours ride will give you a world of info if your paying attention and have a list of things you want to check while underway. Frankly that was much more valuable to me than the survey.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI