Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

53 Hatteras for sale in Louisville, KY

Newbie here to this forum and Hatteras boats. We stayed on a 56 in Ft. Pierce FL through Airb&b and really enjoyed it. We live south of Chicago and boat on the IL river.

Would like to know if anyone has experience with or based on the photos can tell me what to look for when looking at this 53 Hatteras MY?

yachtworld.com/yacht/1980-hatteras-53-motoryacht-7788442/

Thanks!

Re: 53 Hatteras for sale in Louisville, KY

149K seems cheap for all the features it has. The hard top alone is over 10,000. Hard to tell the conditions with photos. Id hire a survey to check the motors, generator and air conditioning units. If they look good do a sea trail then a haul out to check running gear, shafts and props. Make sure to have them check the decks for core damage. Cosmetics are easy to fix it’s the big things that cost money. Check it out thoroughly before you make a decision.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

And you may want to hire your own buyer's agent to do your negotiating and advise on inspections. These boats are very complicated and confusing, especially if you are inexperienced.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Thanks SEVEN and Fanfare. Anyone know of a good surveyor in the Louisville area?

Don't go on only a hand shake with a price and what's included, before you spend a bunch of money on a survey and haul out. I'd advise getting something in writing. I know it's always tricky with faults that a survey could turn up, but if your ok with said faults, you don't want the seller deciding he wants to keep the tender.

I've bought and sold larger cruisers, and brokered a few, and a handshake's lack of paperwork lost me a small whaler tender. I assumed a man in his 70's that was proud of his german heritage would have a good work with a handshake that ment something. I guess the point is, even if you repeat yourself while you shake on it and make it very clear, elderly owners can remember things differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfare View Post
    And you may want to hire your own buyer's agent to do your negotiating and advise on inspections. These boats are very complicated and confusing, especially if you are inexperienced.
    This, big time. But don't just open the phonebook and pick someone. A good buyer's agent will know what questions to ask the listing agent and brokers may be more candid with each other about the boat's condition.

Quote Originally Posted by rfitterer View Post
    Newbie here to this forum and Hatteras boats. We stayed on a 56 in Ft. Pierce FL through Airb&b and really enjoyed it. We live south of Chicago and boat on the IL river.

Would like to know if anyone has experience with or based on the photos can tell me what to look for when looking at this 53 Hatteras MY?

yachtworld.com/yacht/1980-hatteras-53-motoryacht-7788442/

Thanks!
    I have been following that boat, although have not called. Engine hours on meters are 877 and 1,438. Gennie hours 204+. Certainly bears verification and validation of hours and their basis, which is low by normal standards for the year of boat. The ER is quite clean in appearance, as is the general interior. The Gennie looks new(er). The controls appear to have been upgraded to electronic. Has a Tank Tender., which is nice.

No pics of hull/bottom paint condition- always important. No pics of the Winlass uncovered. Has a Bow Thruster, which some may desire.

I don't think it is a "run away fast boat", as looks good to me, at the distance of its posting.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

I’m not that from Louisville and might be persuaded to take a look and even bring it to you afterwards if you are so inclined. One thing I would stress is demanding it at least be available for a dockside sea trial before you go to the expense of taking it to survey. I know it’s not standard protocol, but I’d shoot for a pre-survey sea trial.

If the broker balks at that, offer a non-refundable $500 fee to have someone run it up/down the river for an hour while someone experienced rides along. Could save you $$$$ if something pops up that obviously needs attention. I’m working with someone now who has taken a couple of boats to survey that he never should have.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

What would a pre survey sea trial consist of ? Sounds like a good idea . Thanks , Edward

Just making sure engines turn rated RPM, looking for excessive smoke, temps are good, just confirming no glaring issues that would keep you from wanting to take the next step. Walking the decks in your bare feet to check for soft spots on the decks is a must also.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93