Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coal tar epoxy

Re: Coal tar epoxy

I suspect that Poxitar is now classified as a "hazardous material" and is only available to industrial applications. Same as oil based alkyd semi gloss paint which is no longer sold in gallons - only quarts.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I had my 53 SF waterb blasted 7 years ago and filled blisters with System Three pre mixed epoxy that is like peanut butter so it fills good done all blisters one then sanded then again and sanded applied a coat of west epoxy with slow hardner and when it started getting tacky put first coat of interlux then 4 more of barrier coat Interlux then coat of cheap blue bottom paint as a marker then 2 coats of Petit black ablative so far so good.

I had our old boat, an Egg Harbor repaired in 2004. It was sand blasted, filled & faired, barrier coated then bottom coated. No blisters on the boat now 18 years later. My understanding with the coal tar is it cannot be touched up nor can any bottom paint be applied over it. I'm not sure what the antifouling properties of it are either.

I think the biggest advantage is 2 coats does the trick, vs several barrier coats & 2 coats of bottom paint. The information in the Z spar ad is pretty close to what they are telling me. I'm going to continue my research, thanks to everyone for your help and insight.

Randy

If you are looking for alternate suggestions for the yard, I'm having the badly blistered bottom redone on my 47 Commander this spring and I'm going all Pettit:
    Pettit EZ Fair (fairing compound)
    Pettit Protect Epoxy Primer (barrier coat)
    Pettit Horizons Ablative Antifouling

The big difference is that the Pettit Protect Epoxy Primer barrier coat is much thicker than the Interlux Interprotect 2000E, far fewer coats to get the required film thickness therefore savings on labour.

I went this route as Defender had a great sale on the Pettit fairing compound and barrier coat, then sourced the paint here locally in Toronto.

My boat is only in the water half the year so I expect this bottom repair to outlast me.
    Warren
    1973 Chris-Craft 47 Commander
    1994 Sea Ray Laguna 16SC
    (wannabe Hatteras owner)

I would not have a problem using any product by a reputable manufacturer which is specifically intended for marine use, on fiberglass hulls. That would include Poxitar, if you can find it. I'm not sure it's still out there. But from the ad reproduced here, it seems intended for the purpose we are all discussing.

As I said, so far I've had good performance from VC Watertite and Interprotect. Also, when my boat was repowered several years ago, they used walnut shells or soda to clean off the bottom and added a few more coats of IP at that time.

The problem has not been fouling on the hull nearly as much as fouling on the underwater metal parts. Adding more coats of Barnacle Barrier has helped on that.

They use one of the Sherwin Williams products. The service manager says they put it on a Chris Craft fiberglass boat that had a lot of blisters a few years ago. So far so good. They have it on several houseboats that are in the water for 3 - 4 seasons at a time, steel of course, don't leave the slip hardly at all, they have little to no marine growth when they get pulled. No algae buildup or zebra mussels. I'm waiting on an estimate for a minimum of 3 coats of Petit Protect epoxy primer & 2 coats of antifouling paint, then I'll decide what to do. Either way, all the old paint is getting sanded off, blisters filled & faired, & some kind of barrier coat applied.

I had never heard of coal tar epoxy before, never too late to get an education on something. I'm just not real sure that's what I want on our boat yet... I'll keep everyone posted

Randy

https://epoxyproducts.com/coaltar.html
    This site no longer sells coal tar epoxy but if you scroll down it offers an informative talk on the what and why of coal tars. The entire site is sort of random but the guy likes to discuss all his products in depth, and they are virtually technical data sheets in discussion format. What i got from it is that coal tars were a cheap alternative with a couple desirable attributes, and more undesirable ones. When planning my bottom job i seriously considered purchasing from this guy as I'm in mass but i used interlux 2000 mainly due to the company's financial wherewithal in case of a product failure.

I think Eric nailed this one. It was probably a fine product, but petro-carbon based products seem to be on the naughty list for underwater use now. Regular bottom paint has changed so much over the years, when I was a little kid you used to get at least 2-3 years out of it even in Florida. Now you're lucky if you get a year and a half out of the new stuff.

From what I've been able to tell from the data sheets the issue isn't once it's cured & in the water, it's just nasty stuff to work with. You need a guy that's expendable or pretty well suited up to apply it. You need a good respirator and you don't want to get it on your bare skin. Cures fast then you're ready to go

Been meaning to give an update; I decided to go with the coal tar epoxy our marina recommended. Here's a couple of pics leaving the building before she went in this spring
    Attached Images