Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Windlas is slipping

I have a '73 53ftMY. The 32 volt windlass appears to be original. The anchor chain is about 40ft and then 200ft of rode. Once the rode is in and tension is on the chain the slipping begins. I pulled the clutch plate, cleaned it roughed it up a bit. It got better (a little) at first, but is slipping again.
    Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Bob Scivicque; 06-23-2006 at 02:55 PM.

Re: Windlass is slipping

Possibly your capstan needs tightening. Do you have the wrench that comes with most windlass' to tighten the the large bolt that controls pressure on the clutch? Often it's the bolt loosening over time from vibration.

Is that the same wrench for manually hauling the anchor?? wild bill

As Z4 mentioned, tighten the large nut that is in the center of the capstan. That will "lock" the windlass clutch. The nut can be loosened to allow you to free-drop the anchor rather than running it out using the motor. In normal use it is expected that you will tighten/loosen the nut to vary the tension on the clutch. Most people don't bother and just run the anchor in and out with the motor.

If it is tight, then you need new clutch plates. Call GalleyMaid and they will get you the right parts.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Good Point, Sky!

If the clutch discs are worn enough, their may not be enough material left on them to firmly clamp together when the nut is tightened down. I seem to recall that the clutch discs on the Ideal windlass were around 15 bucks. I assume they would be about the same for the GM since they are identical.

Incidentally, Ideal claims that GM ripped off the windlass design from Ideal many years ago without any payment or compensation. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea but so said a 35-year employee of Ideal when I was trying to find the proper wildcat for the Ideal windlass on our 53.

Thanks to all who replied. Sounds as though I need a new clutch plate. Tightening seems to have reached end of my strength test.

CHECK ONE MORE THING ....( CHAIN PYRIAMIDING ) ON MY BOAT I HAVE A GALLY MAID WITH 3/8 INCH CHAIN 300 FT AND IT RAPS AROUND THE SIDE AND THEN TO THE HOLE TO THE LOCKER I WAS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM LOTS OF SLIPING SO I ORDERED THE BIG WILDCAT SPROKET I THOUGHT IT WAS WORN FROM AGE BUT IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE I NOW HAVE A $ 800.00 PAPER WEIGHT.. FINNALY AFTER MUCH REVIEW WITH A MECHANIC WE FOUND A WOODEN SLIDE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE ANCOHORE LOCKER THAT HELPED THE CHAIN TO GET TO THE CENTER OF THE LOCKER DUE TO IT WAS PILING UP AGAINST THE WALL OF THE LOCKER. THE SYSTEM RELIES HEAVELY ON THE WEIGHT OF THE CHAIN COMEING DOWN TO KEEP IT FROM SLIPING . AFTER FABRICATING A BETTER SLIDE IT WORKED.. BUT WHEN I WEIGH ANCHORE IN DEEP OVER 150' OF CHAIN OUT I ALWAYS NEED A HELPER IN THE LOCKER TO ARANGE THE CHAIN SO IT DOESN'T PYRIMID...IF I COULD I WOULD GET A WIDLASS THAT WORKS OVER THE TOP ... .

Someone said clutch plates (as in more that one). I have only one. Coud that be the problem?

Just a comment on Carl Guzman’s remark about chain wrapping around the wildcat.

Galleymaid makes a “chain stripper” which prevents just that from happening. Originally, my windlass had an old bronze one, which jammed the chain more than anything else. I replaced it with one of the new stainless steel ones from Galleymaid. You have to drill new mounting holes and place it as far into the center of the wildcat as possible. It works great. No chain jams since.

Will