Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My Engine Saga

Re: My Engine Saga

Again I would be very leery of the injectors that came out. Even if you get exchange ones have them run in a tester where they can check spray pattern and flow. 99.999% of smoking problems are spray pattern and atomization. Typically the engine that clears up when it warms up is poorly atomized fuel that ends up burning when the cylinder gets hot enough to compensate.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Again I would be very leery of the injectors that came out. Even if you get exchange ones have them run in a tester where they can check spray pattern and flow. 99.999% of smoking problems are spray pattern and atomization. Typically the engine that clears up when it warms up is poorly atomized fuel that ends up burning when the cylinder gets hot enough to compensate.
    I agree, I have always preached;
    Find a good injector shop.
    Rebuild-don't replace. If the shop you found can not do this, you did not find a good shop.
    The shop will also Pop and match every injector.
    Schedule minimum shelf time when the shop has completed their fine work.

Pending what was wrong with your original injectors, the cost of this path, is close to slightly more, than just replacing them from some patch shop in BFE.

In this thread, At least, insure the re-builders have all injectors popped and matched for their fresh engines. It will save them and you time in the long run.

About 15 years ago I made the mistake of letting Atlantic Detroit Diesel talk me into replacing all 6 injectors in my 6v92's after breaking a spring on one. I spent the next 4 seasons regularly replacing the Reliabuilt injectors that I used. And suffering with a smoky engine. I finally got a matched set of properly built injectors from Metro Fuel Injection in Deep River, CT based on the recommendation of Dan Pelloth, one of the top two old school DD guys in CT. My problems immediately cleared up and I stopped having to replace multiple injectors each season.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I just call Derek (avenger)

Magically I get what I need. No problems.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    About 15 years ago I made the mistake of letting Atlantic Detroit Diesel talk me into replacing all 6 injectors in my 6v92's after breaking a spring on one. I spent the next 4 seasons regularly replacing the Reliabuilt injectors that I used. And suffering with a smoky engine. I finally got a matched set of properly built injectors from Metro Fuel Injection in Deep River, CT based on the recommendation of Dan Pelloth, one of the top two old school DD guys in CT. My problems immediately cleared up and I stopped having to replace multiple injectors each season.
    Yep..

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post

Me too. Our trusted HOF injection expert.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post

Good point. That was before I met Derek!
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Are they still in business? I will get my injectors from there. I have heard nothing but bad things about the factory reliabilt injectors.

I don’t know the details, but note the previous comments about Avenger / Derek.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Me too. Our trusted HOF injection expert.
    Turbo's and fuel pump also
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>