Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: My Engine Saga

Re: My Engine Saga

I feel sorry for you that it took all that time to finally get someone to do a good job, 46K is a lot of money but the peace of mind knowing you have engines that will run for years is priceless. Good luck with mechanics in the future.

I’ve been having similar experiences from electrical to engine projects with “mechanics” and the like. I can do small projects, but Detroit’s are a little scary for me. There is such a storage of qualified people around and the. Add to it old Detroits, I’ve decided to take classes at a local tech school on diesel repair as well as electrical classes. I’d rather mess it up myself then let someone else in there and cause more damage.

UUUGGGHHHHHHHH.... so sorry for your troubles.... it is a nightmare and I so feel for you!
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by dmoore1200 View Post
    I’ve been having similar experiences from electrical to engine projects with “mechanics” and the like. I can do small projects, but Detroit’s are a little scary for me. There is such a storage of qualified people around and the. Add to it old Detroits, I’ve decided to take classes at a local tech school on diesel repair as well as electrical classes. I’d rather mess it up myself then let someone else in there and cause more damage.
    You need to know enough to know when the mechanic is full of crap.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Surgery is underway, all the parts have been arriving so it was time for the teardowns. One thing I really like about this boat is even with engine overhauls going on, the sh!tshow is still contained in the engine rooms. My last boat, when I rebuilt the engines the whole boat was a wreck with floor hatches up and parts everywhere for months. On this one you just shut the engine room doors and you can still have drinks on the dock. Obviously I’m searching for the bright side here…
    Attached Images

Jesus, Chris, I'm just now seeing this thread! Those engines ran flawlessly on our trip last year, so I'm surprised they needed anything at all. I'm assuming you haven't put that many hours on it since then.

Preventive maintenance is one thing, but the old tried and true, "don't fix it if it ain't broke", seems to be looming large on this one. Maybe you should hire an attorney.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Jesus, Chris, I'm just now seeing this thread! Those engines ran flawlessly on our trip last year, so I'm surprised they needed anything at all. I'm assuming you haven't put that many hours on it since then.Preventive maintenance is one thing, but the old tried and true, "don't fix it if it ain't broke", seems to be looming large on this one. Maybe you should hire an attorney.
    It’s so frustrating because the engines were in great shape. I just wanted them serviced, and this guy came well recommended. It’s been a total nightmare, looking back at it he did that thing jiffy lube always gets busted for with the hidden camera news segments where some lady comes in for an oil change and they sell a bunch of extra work.

When he was done the timing was so far off that some cylinders weren’t getting complete fuel burn. The non-idiot mechanics who came in later tell me the unburned diesel then washes the oil off the interior of the cylinder liners and ruins the rings in no time. Didn’t know that was a thing but I sure know now. You’re right, they were running fine I should have said no to the upsell.
    Last edited by cww; 03-12-2022 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    It’s so frustrating because the engines were in great shape. I just wanted them serviced, and this guy came well recommended. It’s been a total nightmare, looking back at it he did that thing jiffy lube always gets busted for with the hidden camera news segments where some lady comes in for an oil change and they sell a bunch of extra work.

When he was done the timing was so far off that some cylinders weren’t getting complete fuel burn. The non-idiot mechanics who came in later tell me the unburned diesel then washes the oil off the interior of the cylinder liners and ruins the rings in no time. Didn’t know that was a thing but I sure know now. You’re right, they were running fine I should have said no to the upsell.
    Question from the peanut gallery; Why were not these latest guys (non-idiot mechanics) called originally?

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post

I reread your original post. There is no timing as your accustomed to on a mechanical Detroit. The injectors are actuated by a lobe on the camshaft it’s all fixed. There is a injector timing procedure but it’s not really timing just adjusting the height of the injector plunger to make sure it depresses the correct distance when the cam lobe pushes it down. Each injector meters the correct amount of fuel into the cylinder basically like pushing a syringe of pre measured fluid. Most likely he put in a bad set of injectors and that was the problem all along. It is highly unlikely you damaged the cylinders with the little running you did. When I rebuilt my 12/71’s more than half the rebuilt injectors were bad. Detroit reliabuilts are the worst. I rejected half the injectors just looking at the erosion on the tips when I pulled them out of the box. I just pulled mine and had them done at a local shop in FtPierce where I know and trust the owner. We were talking about the quality of exchange injectors most have so many hours and age that even rebuilt they still may not operate properly. He found me a set of 12 good cores he rebuilt. I keep them and rotate mine so I’m not down waiting for a couple weeks while he rebuilds them. And in reality mostly he just cleans and checks the spray pattern and flow rate. Hope it all works out.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Question from the peanut gallery; Why were not these latest guys (non-idiot mechanics) called originally?
    The guys doing the rebuilds are from down south, they won't drive all the way to Jacksonville for routine maintenance. The Florida Yacht Support guys I didn't know about them at the time. I was telling Mike Webster about the situation when they weren't running right and he gave me their number. I wish I had known them to begin with and it wouldn't have been a problem.