Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Onan Generator stalls after oil/filter change

All this Onan genny talk reminded me I had a new fuel filter to install. As I snapped it in, I looked around and can't believe the thing runs at all. (but it's running sweetly)

You can see here two positive wires coming into this thing but no ground. What is that, the fuel pump? I guess it grounds itself.

20220213_160300.jpg

And look at that wire with no place to go on the left side. It's a female blade connection and I'll be damned if I know where it's supposed to go.

20220213_160802.jpg

There's a few fuel drips outta' this thing and it needs a lot of time. But it'll keep running until I spend a bunch of money on it. That's the way it works - they don't die until you pay for an overhaul or spend days working on it!
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Glad you got it.
    Every 100 hours??
    Both fuel filters?
    How did the Racor bowl look? Do you drain them when servicing?

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    All this Onan genny talk reminded me I had a new fuel filter to install. As I snapped it in, I looked around and can't believe the thing runs at all. (but it's running sweetly)

You can see here two positive wires coming into this thing but no ground. What is that, the fuel pump? I guess it grounds itself.
    That is the wire connect that causes problems. I see in your picture, it already bit somebody and was fixed with new crimps.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    That is the wire connect that causes problems. I see in your picture, it already bit somebody and was fixed with new crimps.
    Yeah, those red crimps are probably the only new material on the thing.

I wondered if the loose wire I have on the left was the one you were talking about. Seems it would have gone under that wall to the left and up into the control panel area.
    I hope I didn't yank it out of somewhere when I was tinkering with the bad connections in that voltage regulator area.
    1984 52C

If your oil changes are very 100 hours you can do the fuel filters every other change.

The two wires with the red crimp are connections to the fuel shutdown inside the injection pump. If you look right across there is a terminal with a metal strip. That s the ground

Not sure about that loose wire, could be the connection to a gauge sender? Is there a sender above it on the coolant tank?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    If your oil changes are very 100 hours you can do the fuel filters every other change.

The two wires with the red crimp are connections to the fuel shutdown inside the injection pump. If you look right across there is a terminal with a metal strip. That s the ground

Not sure about that loose wire, could be the connection to a gauge sender? Is there a sender above it on the coolant tank?
    Dunno. My only gauge is oil pressure and it's working.
    I looked and felt around everywhere - except over behind the control panel. Can't find a blade anywhere. One day, I'll find where it goes, plug it in and then the genny won't start.
    1984 52C

How did the Racor bowl look? Do you drain them when servicing?
    Bowls looked clean, so I didn't drain them. I guess that's another thing to add to my list next time!

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Dunno. My only gauge is oil pressure and it's working.
    I looked and felt around everywhere - except over behind the control panel. Can't find a blade anywhere. One day, I'll find where it goes, plug it in and then the genny won't start.
    If you have the original print set schematics, there are numbers on the original OhNo wires. That will tell you what/to/from.
    I'll bet to the run injector. Been some years now but I only remember one wire going to it.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 02-13-2022 at 09:35 PM.

Been some years now but I only remember one wire going to it.
    If I was the gambling type I'd bet that's where they got the power for the electric fuel pump.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

The wire on the left goes to a temperature sensor mounted on the exhaust riser. It should ground and shut the engine down if there is no water flow out the exhaust.