Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. WiFi access aboard, Gulf Coast, E. Coast FL, and Bahamas

Howdy Hatteras owners - I've got a 41C under contract, planning some coastal/Bahamas cruising. What is the best way to stay WiFi connected while on board? I still need to work, so I still need access. Also hoping to use it for TV streaming instead of traditional satellite. Many thanks for your recent experiences/equipment/guidance.
    Moonhowler

Re: WiFi access aboard, Gulf Coast, E. Coast FL, and Bahamas

Get a cellular modem connected to a router or a router with built in cellular modem. Then get a line/sim from your favorite provider (att, VZ etc). In the Bahamas you can use prepaid sims from BTC or Aliv

Works real well for us. I have an older Cradlepoint IBR1150 modem. It’s discontinued and replaced with newer model. Other brands have them as well

You can also use an accesspoint like Netgear. Att sells them.

Service works up to 10 miles off shore and pretty much everywhere in the Bahamas except far from land.

Don’t bother with Wifi booster as connecting to shore based wifi is hit or miss... more like miss actually except at a few good marinas
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

3. Re: WiFi access aboard, Gulf Coast, E. Coast FL, and Bahamas

Thanks so much, Pascal, I was leaning that way, but was wondering if the newly deployed satellites for WiFi were up/being used on boats and how the experience is...

You cruise a lot in my favorite areas - hope to see you on the hook soon!

I’ve been waiting for a star link. I think this might be the wave of the future.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

When Starlink is available for boats it should be game changer but that’s a couple of years away. I think they are conducting tests and working on licensing.

Current satellite technology works great, the hardware is a lot cheaper than it used to be but what has not got down are the rates. Last time I checked it was down to $5 a MB. Yes a Megabyte not a Gigabyte...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Currently the cost of the equipment is 500.00 and 99.00 a month for service. That will come down once the are up and running.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Currently the cost of the equipment is 500.00 and 99.00 a month for service. That will come down once the are up and running.
    And apparently keep your cats warm too...

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...beds-180979401
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    That’s for land service. Problem is that hey don’t have the hardware or license to install on boats. Yet.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

That’s why I’m waiting
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I am hesitant to say TV streaming will be ok and would rather have the satellite but we have not lived aboard over there in 5 years. We used DirecTV and were able to get most of what we liked from the Abacos down to Staniel. After that it was sketchy and virtually dead at Great Exuma. They had a plan that b'cast the big 4 networks without all of the local channels.

We went with a wifi booster and had an old phone that we put a Bahamian sim card into. There were some pretty good deals over there for data plans. When one was down (wifi and cell), the other might be up.

I've used Verizon internationally and found that plan to, well, suck. It's ok for a day here and there but if used in one place for an extended period of time I maxed out in a hurry.
    Maybe ATT is better.
    Regards
    Dan