Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

looking for recommendations on marine electrical terminal connectors

I've been using some of the cheap plastic electrical terminal connectors mainly used in the automotive industry and just hate them. Does anyone have any recommendations on types (brand names) of good quality marine grade, stranded wire, heat shrink, electrical terminal connectors (ring, fork, spade, butt)? What about good quality crimping tools? I use them mainly for my 12 volt electrical systems so the wires tend to be in the 12 to 18 gage wire size. Just plain tired of junk!!

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC, Hull# 377

Re: looking for recommendations on marine electrical terminal connectors

Most of that crap doesn’t belong on boats.

I only use Ancor brand connectors with built in shrink tube. Mostly butt connectors and rings. I avoid the quick disconnects unless really necessary. They come in 3 sizes that will cover pretty much everything.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Ancor makes marine grade electrical parts including ratchet crimpers, connectors, and tinned wire. Carried by most all marine companies. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

National Standard parts are the best I've found, they also happen to be cheaper than the Anchor stuff (last i checked at least).

https://www.nspa.com/

I've also had great success with their crimpers, I highly recommend them over pretty much everything else I've ever used. Many times crimp failure is caused by the crimping tool doing an inadequate, or rather inaccurate job.
    https://www.nspa.com/product/t-r-50/
    Last edited by rustybucket; 01-24-2022 at 11:38 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

That crimper may be similar to the ratcheting one that Ancor sells. I have had mine for years and it works really well. Far better than any other I've used.

I am not familiar with National Std, but they look good. I have never had any problems ever with Ancor products; and that includes never having anything of theirs deteriorate in the marine environment.

Indeed. Forgot to mention the Ancor ratchet crimped. A must have. Forget the plier type. Useless
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks to all who replied.

I your advice is, once again, is much appreciated.

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC, Hull#377

Just starting using a new brand over Ancor, Seavolt shrink crimps have poor packaging but seem to be working very well and much cost reduced.
    As other products across the lines of everything, lots of times the packaging is the more expensive component.

I have a large tackle box all my crimps move into, so the packaging really does not matter to me,, just the cost.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 01-24-2022 at 07:22 PM.

I like the Perma Seal from this guy

https://www.ebay.com/str/caseyelectr...=&toolid=10001

I think the Perma Seal are the ones they use on the Ultra Switch if I remember correctly. Most importantly use a crimper made for heat shrink as mentioned above

My fishing buddy Walter, a professional electrician for the past 35 years turned me on to these:https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/c...ool-connectors

Very accurate and steady, with plenty of leverage. For 10 - 22 awg. I have 3 or 4 expensive crimpers around, but this is my go to tool.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau