Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lookout Windows

Thumbs up Re: Lookout Windows

As Ralph said, I highly recommend them. PM me if you want to talk directly, I’ll be back on land on Friday.

Re: Lookout Windows

Dave,

Two years ago I removed all of my frames. I had two foggy windows. Some leaks and fading anodizing. I sand blasted the frames and they
    got three coats of awlgrip same color as the boat.. I reset all the glass using the instructions here on the forum and bought new rubber and weather stripping from Sams. All of my screws went into some structure luckily, calling the cutouts for the openings crude is an overstatement. I think it was a job that was assigned to the new guy!

Sorry to all forum members for the dirty deck, repainting of the non skid is being done this spring.
    Walt Hoover
    Attached Images

Your in fresh water. Everyone I’ve seen painted in a salt environment starts with filiform corrosion and that white powered rot under the paint. Sandblasting may be key though. When I had my plane painted they stripped it down to bare aluminum acid washed it then alodine followed up with a epoxy primer and finished with awlgrip. A few years later I started again with filiform corrosion.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Yes salt water may destroy my work, even a freshwater environment might be tough on the frames. It's only been two years. The faded anodizing was making the boat look old and I know I will not be moving it off the great lakes. I didn't know if Dave was moving south or not. I wondered if powder coating would be an option?

Walt Hoover

Problem with powder coat is you need to find someone with an oven big enough to put the parts in.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present