Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Kohler Model 20EOZD Feedback and Eexperience

Same question as in previous thread about experiences with this vintage Kohler ...

Kohler 20EOZD, 60Hz Marine Diesel Generator, 20 kw | eBay

JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Re: Kohler Model 20EOZD Feedback and Eexperience

The back bearing and plate or something similar looking missing.
    As all of the sound enclosure.
    This company fixes, cleans and sells salvaged equipment.
    They may be good at it.
    Just remember, it is not complete, just a hour meter (if working) offers just a guess of it's running life.
    Shopping on line with strangers??? Be Ware..
    If you must get a used gen-set, it's going to be hard shopping and still questionable.

Tap on your friends and locals. Then be patient.

Now, boat show specials, for new sets are around the corner.

My observations thru the years;
    New sets come with warranties, used does not.
    New sets have their whole life ahead of them, used is used up. Then why was it pulled?
    There is no investment value in a used set.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 01-19-2022 at 12:25 PM.

I'm assuming you are shopping because your current gen-set has issues?

Capt Ralph-

Yes, one of my 20KW Northern lights is beyond economical repair. Both engine and electrical end have major issues.

I've had a new Northern Lights 20 kW on order since September 2021. Delivery was originally promised in November... then by 12/31/21.... now sometime February 2022... I don't have any confidence in the new February delivery either.

Looking at other options ...

BTW... I agree with your observations above and this is my experience as well...
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by JD5652 View Post
    Capt Ralph-

Yes, one of my 20KW Northern lights is beyond economical repair. Both engine and electrical end have major issues.

I've had a new Northern Lights 20 kW on order since September 2021. Delivery was originally promised in November... then by 12/31/21.... now sometime February 2022... I don't have any confidence in the new February delivery either.

Looking at other options ...

BTW... I agree with your observations above and this is my experience as well...
    Not sure where your at but somebody is pulling your chain. In November I was offered a whole 20kw or just the electrical end. An electrical end failure just after warranty hours. We took the 1 of 3 electrical ends in the left coast,, then.. 1 week later in our hands.
    At that time, 2 whole 20s were in Liquordale.
    Other than that unexpected B O A T (Bend Over And Take-it) maneuver, We still like NLs.
    NL has usually come to the consumers side if hours were close. Ours were and they held firm.
    F M
    Anyway, We have a good electrical end core. I does have an issue somewhere. With yours, our friends at Broward Armature can get something rocking.
    Next. The Shibaura engine is easy to rebuild or replace.
    Just because you have a NL, does not mean you have to put up with NL.
    When the dust settles and your credit card come back to earth level, You can keep your NL 20 architecture and not really have to B O A T with them.

AND, not have to B O A T with a stranger. I encourage safe boating..

Oh, you don't see to many NL 20s for sale for a reason. Other than NL warranty not taking the side of the user any more, it is still the best product out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Not sure where your at but somebody is pulling your chain. In November I was offered a whole 20kw or just the electrical end. An electrical end failure just after warranty hours. We took the 1 of 3 electrical ends in the left coast,, then.. 1 week later in our hands.
    At that time, 2 whole 20s were in Liquordale.
    Other than that unexpected B O A T (Bend Over And Take-it) maneuver, We still like NLs.
    NL has usually come to the consumers side if hours were close. Ours were and they held firm.
    F M
    Anyway, We have a good electrical end core. I does have an issue somewhere. With yours, our friends at Broward Armature can get something rocking.
    Next. The Shibaura engine is easy to rebuild or replace.
    Just because you have a NL, does not mean you have to put up with NL.
    When the dust settles and your credit card come back to earth level, You can keep your NL 20 architecture and not really have to B O A T with them.

AND, not have to B O A T with a stranger. I encourage safe boating..

Oh, you don't see to many NL 20s for sale for a reason. Other than NL warranty not taking the side of the user any more, it is still the best product out there.
    Capt-

Perhaps I'm talking to the wrong people.... but I talked with no less than 6 different NL distributors/dealers between August and September between New England and Louisiana trying to source a 16 or 20 kW. I basically got the same story from each.... none were in stock and the only way I could get a new one was to put down a deposit and wait for the cargo ship to arrive .... after researching and searching for several weeks... I ponied up the deposit and have been playing the waiting game since.

If you have a source that has NL 16 or 20 in stock.... I'm all ears... PM me if you like...

I'm not married to NL.... but my other genny is NL... so just trying to minimize parts, etc...

Thanks in advance!
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Our latter efforts are on our third managed Hatt with dual NLs. A 20 and 12 in the forward generator room. This would be below the galley down or below the day head and twin bunk port cabin. I can only guess that the equipment offered us was reserved for service rather than sales. Really guessing here.