Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Reversible Motor Oil Pump

My new boat does not have an oil change system like the old one did. Can anyone recommend a good AC pump, reversible, that will handle cold motor oil? Preferably one that will pump 5 or more gpm. I called Depco and gave them my requirements. They suggested a model but when I looked at it, it was for light diesel fuel transfer. I'm a bit disappointed in them.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

2. Re: Reversible Motor Oil Pump

You can still buy Reversopumps. Reverso is what Hatteras originally installed and, in my experience, is ofexcellent quality. I can drain 7 gallons of oil in under 10 minutes. Keepinga spare impeller or two onboard is good as they go bad but easy tochange.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...16&id=3463545#
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

Re: Reversible Motor Oil Pump

I would avoid impeller pumps. Gear pumps are much better. This is what I put on my 53 during the repower

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...116&id=2036740

Couple of years ago I got a replacement 120v gearpump from Depco for the “office “. This thing will drain a 5 gall pail in a couple of minutes... good thing when each engine takes 40 gallons or more

If I find the model number I ll post it.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I'm going with a portable style. I prefer not to take up the space with something I'll only use once a year. Im looking at the Roughneck model 22649. Not reversible, but I can handle that with a couple quick connects.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

This is not 120v, rather 12v, but I got this this fall and it was a pretty big upgrade for changing oil:

https://www.defender.com/product3.js...116&id=2037292

Has a little platform that it is mounted on that is pretty nice, just set it on the bucket lid and it doesn't tip over, etc...
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Last August I purchased a Groco system from Defender. Reversible 5gpm gear pump with 5 port manifold. Pumps oil fairly cold on 671 Covingtons. Slightly over $700 and worth every penny.
    1987 41' CD832
    Giddy Up
    Niantic, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    I'm going with a portable style. I prefer not to take up the space with something I'll only use once a year. Im looking at the Roughneck model 22649. Not reversible, but I can handle that with a couple quick connects.
    Once a year?? My friend, you don't run your boat enough. Do you need help??
    Line forms to the right, I'm first..

That one is somewhat interesting Brett. I guess I could clip it to the hot lug on the starter. I wonder if it has enough ummph to pull out cold oil? I'm trying to get it changed now while I'm working on it, as I already had to pull the oil filter and mounting block on the stbd engine in order to replace the main oil lines. As long as I've already gone thru the messy part, I'd like to finish.

The door is always open Ralph. Up here in the great white north we only get April thru Nov. And we don't do a lot of cruising. My yacht club was always our destination cruise when I was in New Haven; its still my favorite destination. And I do 3 or 4 offshore trips a season plus local fishing. Probably 150-200 hrs per season.

Prior to doing my oil change this past Nov, I foolishly left my pails of oil on the after deck for a week or two. So, they were say 50 degrees perhaps, it was around 40 degrees overnight then.

Anyway, yea, I clipped it on to the back of the battery switch.

That first bucket was slow, so I put a heater on the second bucket for a couple hours and it was much, much better.

Otherwise, it worked great.

I think it will be tough to move 20 degree oil!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    That one is somewhat interesting Brett. I guess I could clip it to the hot lug on the starter. I wonder if it has enough ummph to pull out cold oil? I'm trying to get it changed now while I'm working on it, as I already had to pull the oil filter and mounting block on the stbd engine in order to replace the main oil lines. As long as I've already gone thru the messy part, I'd like to finish.

The door is always open Ralph. Up here in the great white north we only get April thru Nov. And we don't do a lot of cruising. My yacht club was always our destination cruise when I was in New Haven; its still my favorite destination. And I do 3 or 4 offshore trips a season plus local fishing. Probably 150-200 hrs per season.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Go with a gear type pump .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL