Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Detroit 8v71 oil leak location

Pictured (Attached) is a steady oil leak on one of my 8v71 Detroits. Pretty steady when it's running. I'm Detroit illiterate.... what am I looking at here? What part/fitting is that? I thought that was a water pump? Whats above it?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dmoore1200; 02-03-2022 at 03:07 PM.

Re: Detroit 8v71 oil leak location

Looks like your gasket between the raw water pump housing and the engine is deteriorated. The pump is gear driven off the cam shaft (ie: stuck into the engine block and lubricated by the engine oil rinsing over it). When the gasket fails engine oil can leak out around the housing.

It could also be the internal oil seal in the back of the pump. Is the oil coming from around the pump/engine contact surfaces or out of the bottom of the pump? There is an air gap with vent holes between the water side of the pump and the engine side. Oil coming out of the vent holes means the oil seal on the engine side of the housing needs to be replaced. Water coming out of the vents means the water seal on the pump end of the housing is bad.
    Last edited by Play'N Hooky Too; 02-03-2022 at 04:03 PM.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou
    Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Thanks so much... Ill investigate further.

Just remember to keep in mind the old adage about the Detroits..."If there's no oil coming out of 'em, then there's probably no oil in 'em ". They are hard working and reliable, but they sweat oil.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou
    Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Just pull that bottom bolt. Clean it and the hole well. Cover the threads and washers with a dose of RTV and reassemble.
    Originally, Copper sealing washers were used all over Detroits. Seems they never get re-freshed on servicing.