Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Selling the house, going to buy a CPMY, looking for opinions

Pretty much settled on a Hatteras CMPY, question is which model makes the most sense? 61', 63', or 67' ? (we want the large aft deck) I used to hear that a 61' CPMY is about as big as you want to go if Owner / Couple operated, but does that still hold true if you have bow and stern thrusters?

Re: Selling the house, going to buy a CPMY, looking for opinions

I have never actually measured one but for some reason it seems to me that the aft deck on a 61 is bigger than a 63. Have spent time on both. Doesn’t make sense but that is the feeling I get. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

There a couple of 61 cpmy on yacht world for sale.

Went through the same process 4 years ago and ended up on a 67’ CPMY. You’re asking the right group - I’ve benefitted a ton (in stealth mode) from the wisdom shared here so I figure now is a good time to jump in.

We looked at 61/3/7 (among others) - you can’t go wrong with any of them. Wide beam makes a big difference, as do covered side decks for line handling and kid safety…plus 12v-71s and most (all?) are stabilized.

The way WE use the boat, the cockpit is invaluable for fishing, swimmers, tying up and getting in/out of the tender, boarding from the dock at various tide levels with the dog, line handling, lazarette for storage, rudder/steering and tank access etc. The huge back deck behind the salon is also a favorite both underway and on the hook.

On 61 vs 63 vs 67 it depends on how big your operation is. If you are a couple or family of 3-4 with short to mid-term guests the smaller side will work. If you are more (like us) the extra size adds elbow room and storage that is appreciated by all.

Maneuvering: we do fine in south Fla with me at the pilothouse helm plus 1-2 on deck depending on how tight the destination/canals are, but I don’t have any thrusters. With bow AND stern thrusters, you could seriously park it anywhere with 1 deck hand in most conditions – just do it slow and steady.

In your diligence, don’t ignore dockage. In your cruising area, will the extra length of a 63 or 67 box you out of potential dockage or kick you into higher rates per ft? Will the wide beam (of all 3 options) do the same or limit destinations? Consider the perpetual ~2’-6’ of extra slip fees you will pay at market rates with the 63 or 67 too.

Great advice . What speed do you operate at most of the time ? Hull speed or do push up to planing speed ?

Yup, hull speed +/-. Planing this beast means exponential fuel burn increase and the way we use the boat doesn't require speed.

Fuel burn at hull speed is a good next question that I haven't compiled my own data on but it's better than I expected with this big of a boat/engine combo.

Agree with comments above.

You want one that is stabilized and with a bow thruster.

My wife added the thruster to my boat before we had it a year.

It's now very easy to maneuver and the thruster let me keep at least half of my money and stuff.

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

The biggest aft decks on most hatteras seem to be the motoryachts. When you're onboard it feels like the cockpit models borrow some of that space from the aft deck. The aft deck on my 53 MY is bigger compared to most YF or CPMY's I've been on. The extra beam I'm jealous of though.

Please don't be upset with me for injecting these thoughts to consider;
    We parted a house and moved aboard 17 years ago. Cruised all over the South East and Bahamas. Kept coming back to Jax.
    Then we purchased our next house on the water. The mortgage was cheaper than dock rent.
    We moved around some, sold and rented dockage again.
    Now retiring, we purchased another water front house because, still cheaper than rent. And no NNBF yelling at me about another one of my projects on their dock.

Best of luck to you.

I think the aft deck on the 61cmy may seem bigger because of the centerline doors. Whereas the 63cmy has the aft door off to one side.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI