Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DEKA 8v/195

DEKA 8v/195

Deka is no longer offering the 8v/195 so when you have one that's 2 years old and it explodes you'll have to replace the entire bank, what a crock of chit
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Re: DEKA 8v/195

Before everyone asks, I am in the process of replacing the floor below the batteries and had a situation where I had to move it to a neighbors slip to get my seawall cap poured. Hit the start button and BOOM. Polarity was correct, charger was recently serviced, batteries serviced 3 weeks ago, this one needed no water then
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ageless; 01-17-2022 at 09:38 AM.

In another thread rsmith told me that Trojan started making 8v195’s when dekke dropped them. Check with a trojan dealer.

Not to be a pot stirrer but 4 GC-8's will start your 12-71's, are easy to find and all four will cost less than one 8v-195. If you are in a bind just letting you know as I have 12-71's and GC8's due to "supply chain issues" last year. Also heard of people making an 8 battery bank with GC-8s by having two banks of 4 in parallel but I didn't have to do that. I am in Florida and it is warm.

It's that hydrogen thing.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    It's that hydrogen thing.....
    Yep, one spark inside or close to a gassing battery.
    Think of a bad connection arcing under a high current load. Looks like a spark plug firing in a combustible environment. BANG.. The whole top peels open and blows off.

I converted these 4 years ago and very happy.
    https://www.trojanbattery.com/product/t-875/
    Call DC battery and they will give you their CCA data, that is not posted. These are the only 8vGC that they sell for our boats. I think they spin faster than the 195s they replaced. requires new cables.
    They will drop ship, if you want to make it easy.
    They sent a set to a friend who was in the bahamas!
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    I converted these 4 years ago and very happy.https://www.trojanbattery.com/product/t-875/Call DC battery and they will give you their CCA data, that is not posted. These are the only 8vGC that they sell for our boats. I think they spin faster than the 195s they replaced. requires new cables.They will drop ship, if you want to make it easy.They sent a set to a friend who was in the bahamas!
    These are exactly the way I think I’m going

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    These are exactly the way I think I’m going
    FYI, I ordered a set of those in Aug 21, with a tentative delivery around November, which they missed.

My seller (BatterySystems) said Trojan output was pre-booked well into 2022 due to contractural obligations, so I had to switch to USBattery GC.

DAN

Quote Originally Posted by drburke View Post
    FYI, I ordered a set of those in Aug 21, with a tentative delivery around November, which they missed.My seller (BatterySystems) said Trojan output was pre-booked well into 2022 due to contractural obligations, so I had to switch to USBattery GC.DAN
    Exactly what I’m finding, happy with the US batteries?