Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: New member hello

We have owned 4 large boats and the have all been single beds. We love them.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

What Bird said, for the fact: buy the best boat you can afford, get serious hull and engine surveys, and don't buy too big- figure out how much space you really need and then get the best boat you can find and afford.

As far as older boats go, NOTHING is supported as well as a Hatteras. Nothing. No other yacht builder can boast a separate company that sells parts for their boats, sponsors a forum (which is open to all) and generally backs up yachts like this one does.

Welcome! As others have said this is the source for everything Hatteras. You’ll get honest answers with no judgement even for the most newbie of questions, ask me how I know.
    Jim’s advice is spot on and I’ll add buy the smallest boat you can live on comfortably not the largest boat you can afford. We did the later and although we would buy our boat again and again I know our next boat will be smaller even if we still live on it. Sometimes the logistics of the few extra feet causes issues. Good luck in your search!
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

What Dave said.. I would add that this forum is the best of its kind, but the fact is it seems to be the only one of its kind.

Another reason to buy a Hatteras is that you get to be a patron of Sam's Marine and support this forum. Which in turn helps your fellow boat owners. The amount of spares that Sam's stocks is amazing- including stuff you would swear disappeared a long time ago... but very often Sam's will still have them in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    What Dave said.. I would add that this forum is the best of its kind, but the fact is it seems to be the only one of its kind.

Another reason to buy a Hatteras is that you get to be a patron of Sam's Marine and support this forum. Which in turn helps your fellow boat owners. The amount of spares that Sam's stocks is amazing- including stuff you would swear disappeared a long time ago... but very often Sam's will still have them in stock.
    Well said. We're actively looking for our dream boat, and will only consider a hatt for our next boat due to Sam's, the support from Hatteras (call their support and they answer the phone and questions on old boats!), and this forum (i.e. the members). There isn't a forum that has the encyclopedic knowledge of the brand that this one has, or is as dedicated to a quality brand. Just reading here I've learned so much. And as Jim points out, the ability to find correct parts from sam's is invaluable.

Nordhavn has some forums but you have to be a verified owner, which is to some degree a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post

Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Welcome. I spent years on this forum before I bought, heck before I ever looked at one. (In fact there were side betts as to whether/when I would ever buy). But I can tell you that I knew enough about these boats to ask the right questions and to know what I was looking at when the time came. In fact it enabled me to buy the boat I have, full price, before anyone else got to her, without worries, and I am still very happy I got her.

The knowledge here is truly amazing.

To add to the above, the Queen/Twins discussion is personal. My lovely bride and I have spent 99% of the last 30 years in "our" bed, and only medical reasons have split us up, but in the same room, a few times. Now, would i have turned down a heck of a boat because of the MSR layout? No. I would have redone it. The reason I bring that up is that it is a doable job, but it spreads across several disciplines, ie fine carpentry, plumbing, hydraulics (steering) electrical and electronics. If you can't do all of it comfortably yourself you will be dealing with several trades, or trying to find someone that can do it all, neatly, properly for a reasonable price and in a reasonable time frame. Good luck with that.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 01-16-2022 at 02:33 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Seconding what Oscar said RE twins vs queen.

I know it is not the same, but my 52C master was twins, and it was not so hard to detach and join the two boxes as a base for the full I now have.

In fact, down the road I will pretty them up a little and make it so they can be restored to the original location or (temporarily) clipped or bolted down as a set.

Just don't be thinking anything is impossible...

DAN