Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

New member hello

Hi All -

I was riding my bike near the Napa Valley Marina and spotted a Hatteras MY in drydock. Kept riding by it and Six months later I have convinced my wife to live aboard one summers in a few years once my teen leaves the nest.

When I was young my parents had at Tollycraft 44 I think it was and we spent the summers on the CA delta and coast. I always wanted my dad to sell that boat and get Hat but it was more $ and his second wife if you get the challenge.

I have been looking at 50-58 foot late 80's - 90's MY and wonder if they are a smart choice to locate on the east coast or gulf for a few years or longer? I am very handy with engines and built several houses but worry about the age(hours) of engines and reliability. I would get as clean and solid I could find but that said they are long in the years. Understand probably no insurance that old.

1. Should I focus on one that had a recent rebuild?
    2. Would less than 3,000 hours with excellent maintenance be a reasonable cutoff point?
    3. Get one with high hours at a discount and take the time and $100,000 to rebuild?
    4. Targeting a 54 ED, 58 MY II, 53 ED, stand up engine rooms and late 80’s – 90’s production. Any to avoid with poor histories?
    5. Love these boats but better to get newer to avoid being Mr. fix it everyday?

Thank you for your thoughts. - Dan

Re: New member hello

The 53 foot Hatteras and Dry Docked In Napa has been there for a number of years. The owner is rebuilding the motors and transmissions and has been taking his time. There are a few 53 yacht fishers in San Francisco and the Delta you should take a look at. We keep our 53 in Antioch. There is another 53’yacht Fisher that needs a lot of work that may be going cheap if you’re interested in that. Let me know.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Howdy, and welcome.

A lot of this boils down to personal taste as in layouts etc. as there are no bad Hatt's in terms of the way they left the factory. What happened after that separates the good from the bad.

Do your homework and look at the various models you mentioned, then buy the one that's closest to perfect. Any perceived savings on something less will inevitably turn out to be a bad choice unless you can truly to everything yourself. Then it becomes a matter of how much you make doing things that pay you money. There are no free lunches.

Good luck with your search.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Welcome!

You are in the right place, but FYI search for the NorCal Roundup to see the local group of Hatteras owners (nowhere near complete).

DAN

Thank you all for your great advice.

Might get an interiem boat here in Norcal to get up to speed before we can hit the east coast for long-term purchase.

- Dan

You will love this site.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Welcome Dan - You got the Bug!
    I too got the bug a couple years back maybe 3, just found our boat this last fall after a long search and many of the same questions.
    Hang out hear and watch the new posts and responses and you will learn lots about these boats!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

FJ40Dan,
    I'll echo what the others have said,, this is the place to be if your thinking of getting a Hatteras.
    These guys in here have a wealth of knowledge that they will willing share just for the asking. Every question I have had I was able to search for an answer in old post or ask outright and the answer was there.
    I too am new to the community, my wife and I found a 43DCFB and have had two seasons on her. (no standing in the engine space) I also am mechanically inclined and although it took me a bit I learned all the systems in fairly short order. I ran equipment all my life lots and lots of DD's so they didn't worry me much.
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI