Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 6v92 oil leak

Re: 6v92 oil leak

Many parts like that can be repaired if you can find the right guy. I had a showerhead on one of the Cummins that had pinhole leaks on the inner pipe. Guy at yard I go to cut it open, replaced 90 degree tube and added short piece of straight to finish off, and welded the whole thing back together. Will it last forever, no. Did it reasonably extend service life, yes.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I too am sure that can be welded. I had new necks for the rad caps welded or brazed to my tanks. I had them removed and had the tube bundle cleaned at the same time. Radiator shop did it all.

Walt Hoover

Walt…
    was it difficult to remove?
    SummerWind
    1994 Hatteras
    48 cockpit motoryacht
    Muskegon, Mi

youtube.com/@greatlakesyachting

Quote Originally Posted by Phasma2128 View Post
    I didn’t have it pressure tested.
    Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    I too am sure that can be welded. I had new necks for the rad caps welded or brazed to my tanks. I had them removed and had the tube bundle cleaned at the same time. Radiator shop did it all.

Walt Hoover
    You can see the leak. Pressure no more than 8psi and an evidence trail is showing.
    This is cast iron. Solder or Brazing would be a poor gamble. Poor adhesion and in a raw water environment. The iron has to go in an oven then when hot, welded, like a block with a compatible rod. As I mentioned earlier, a block welding shop should be consulted.
    I thought a replacement case was ordered.

In my case it was a Cummins 903, removing the heat exchanger is a bit of work and really heavy because I didn't remove the tube bundle first. I could not get the rad caps to seal so new necks were in order. Cummins parts are harder to find so for you a new tank might be an easier solution if it's easy to get. As said earlier finding someone able and willing to do the welding could be hard. The times I have found capable people but are not interested to do the work are many. I'm sure I have about a 25% success rate.

Walt Hoover

Just woke up thinking about this.
    I was incorrect. The leak is from the coolant side of the heat exchanger.
    Maybe, maybe,
    a patch could hold up on a properly cleaned area.

Any luck shopping for another case?

So far no luck. I talked to a guy in Grand Rapids Mi that said he MIGHT know where to get an entire heat exchanger.

I am assuming it’s a relatively low pressure system? If this rust hole is there what are the chances of others forming? I obviously won’t know until I get into it.
    SummerWind
    1994 Hatteras
    48 cockpit motoryacht
    Muskegon, Mi

I’ve been watching this and thinking that perhaps it’s time to reconfigure your
    heat exchanger with a newer LARGER exchanger that would help with the cooling needs of this engine. There are numerous threads on how under capacity these tanks are for the engines they serve. Has anyone replaced their tank with a larger tank of different design to add cooling capacity? I would think it’s just an exercise in replumbing.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

That opens up a whole different set of possibilities. I will ask the mechanic
    SummerWind
    1994 Hatteras
    48 cockpit motoryacht
    Muskegon, Mi

How did you make out investigating a different heat exchanger?
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI