Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The best bilge pump.....

No not talking about the built in ones, that's a bag o' worms I don't want to open right now.

Talking about how to get the water out of the myriad of low spots in our vast, rice paddy like network of bilges. I keep a dry bilge. When I do work there's spillage. Winterizing, cooling system work, water tank work..... puddles happen. I have used super sponges, plastic cups, turkey basters, battery powered "stick pumps", squeeze ball pumps...... they are all a pain and many will have you laying down on the mechanics perforating your abdomen with hose clamps to get to "the spot".

No more. This thing is awesome. Thin, but rigid with a long reach (36"). 5-6 "sucks" will fill a gallon jug. Inlet is flat you truly get down to a 1/4" of water, which you then get with the paper towel held by long cooking tongs.

For the money I ordered a bunch. Hope to never run out.

(And of course they could come in handy in case of boarding by "hostile" associates or out of favor family members.)
    Attached Images
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: The best bilge pump.....

That's a great idea.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I use a small version of one of those in my dingy to get out small amounts of water, at least I do when the grandkids don’t steal them to soak there siblings.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

On our Bert, I have a shop-vac in the engine room. The kind that pumps water out of itself into a 5 gallon (ex oil) pail next to it. Then I collected all the old vac hoses that have been collected thru the years.
    Out of our mid ship ER, these hoses reach near every ware.

I have just about talked my bud into putting one of these shop-vacs in place of the built in (missing) ship vac system and he can do the same for on and below deck clean up with out a hose from his port E R.

Nothing beats a good wet/dry vacuum for removing water puddles and this eliminates the need to drag a whole unit around and risk spillage.

Hmmmmm that sounds interesting. I could mount a small one up high(er) and plumb a drain to a sea chest......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Hmmmmm that sounds interesting. I could mount a small one up high(er) and plumb a drain to a sea chest......
    My shop vac has a course foam filter on the water pickup, but it is still pretty dirty and some grit. I'm not sure I would want it to drain into my ships sump or sea chest. When I know I picked up some oil, then I pour my pail into a couple of open pails on shore and lay an oil-sorb towel on the top of the water to soak up any oil.
    The grass is still green where I pour the remaining water off.

You will need a valve to close off your line if you do go that way. You will vac up water from the chest.

Quick look on line, I can not find my model to show it off. Cant remember the brand either.
    I'll get a brand and model number from the vac it self tomorrow and update this thread.
    Its a really cool vac.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 01-10-2022 at 06:41 PM.

I installed the biggest Jabsco diaphragm pump that I could find ( one inch intake) and plumbed it to the various bilges using marelon diverter valves . Still leaves a little which can be wiped up or use the wet vac . I hate using the vac for salt water as I have probably replaced 4 or 5 motors in the vac.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    I installed the biggest Jabsco diaphragm pump that I could find ( one inch intake) and plumbed it to the various bilges using marelon diverter valves . Still leaves a little which can be wiped up or use the wet vac . I hate using the vac for salt water as I have probably replaced 4 or 5 motors in the vac.
    That is the beauty of this vac I have, it pumps the water out while vacuuming. It's about 5 years old now.

We had such a discussion on the forum a number of years ago "That Hatteras Smell" with some discussion of disinfectants, etc.

I like the vacuum approach; nice solution. And the hand pump is a cool option.

There are a few companies that make so-called dry bilge systems:
    https://www.seaflo.us/
    https://www.aridbilgesystems.com/

I do want to remind that the purpose of most centrifugal high-flow bilge pumps is to deal with seawater ingress, and the diaphragm-style pumps are an add-on and pump at a *lot* slower rate in emergencies.
    The OP did point this out, but keep those Rule pumps if you seek an alternate means to a dryer bilge.

DAN

I did the Seaflo system but added a few pick ups. Google Elle-Yacht on YouTube, he shows how to make cheap pick ups using a sponge, cable outlet cover and a few fittings to make extra water pick up points.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale