Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Batteries

Batteries

I did do a search (I promise) and all of the threads seem to be people using AGM's, golf cart batteries, etc. Let's say I just wanted to replace them with what's supposed to be there. Is the correct battery the Rolls 8HHG25P?

Re: Batteries

Sky Cheyney just posted that information.

He's had Rolls for years. He's a good source of information on the correct Rolls batteries a d chargers.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Yes, that is the correct battery.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Yes, that is the correct battery.
    Thank you! My starting batteries are a little long in the tooth and I’m looking at new ones before the Bahamas this year.

Just FYI I was talking to the Trojan battery rep at FLIBS said they started making 8V195’s when Deka dropped them. I’ve had both 819’s and the 195’s in the boat over the years depending on availability. Never saw a difference on life or capability. A word of advice. Before they put the batteries in the boat make them test each battery preferably in front of you. Twice I’ve had one new one was undercharged and cooked the whole bank.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Every time I do a bank of batteries in series I precharge and test them all. It's not to bad before they go in. And it beats pulling them out.

The pita is getting an 8 volt charger for the 32 volt banks.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Just FYI I was talking to the Trojan battery rep at FLIBS said they started making 8V195’s when Deka dropped them. I’ve had both 819’s and the 195’s in the boat over the years depending on availability. Never saw a difference on life or capability. A word of advice. Before they put the batteries in the boat make them test each battery preferably in front of you. Twice I’ve had one new one was undercharged and cooked the whole bank.
    That's awesome, I'm very glad to have another option, I got a quote on the Rolls batteries and they are $489.96 apiece + tax & shipping. So it would be $5k just to change the batteries. Sheesh.

Is there a significant quality difference that would justify the price on the Rolls batteries? My least favorite boat chore is changing batteries, my back hurts for a week. If they last a couple years longer then I would probably think the extra dough is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    That's awesome, I'm very glad to have another option, I got a quote on the Rolls batteries and they are $489.96 apiece + tax & shipping. So it would be $5k just to change the batteries. Sheesh.

Is there a significant quality difference that would justify the price on the Rolls batteries? My least favorite boat chore is changing batteries, my back hurts for a week. If they last a couple years longer then I would probably think the extra dough is worth it.
    I went the crown golf cart battery route, I'm pretty sure its been almost three years. Couldn't be happier. I spent $1,200 for the batteries and all the cables top hook them up. Lifting 16 small batteries into the hole is a lot easier than 8 large ones. I also had my battery charger die last year and it cooked the batteries. I got to the boat and the acid was a few inches below the top of the plates. I replaced the charger and refilled them and so far they have been fine. I would have been a lot more upset if I thought I had just cooked my $5,000 Rolls batteries. When I bought them the shop told me most of their customers using them are seeing 7 years out of them. I know you said you didn't want to hear about the golf cart batteries but it seems like you may have changed your mind after hearing the price of the Rolls. My boat has 1292's and they've never had a problem cranking them.

Quote Originally Posted by mike.s View Post
    I went the crown golf cart battery route, I'm pretty sure its been almost three years. Couldn't be happier. I spent $1,200 for the batteries and all the cables top hook them up. Lifting 16 small batteries into the hole is a lot easier than 8 large ones. I also had my battery charger die last year and it cooked the batteries. I got to the boat and the acid was a few inches below the top of the plates. I replaced the charger and refilled them and so far they have been fine. I would have been a lot more upset if I thought I had just cooked my $5,000 Rolls batteries. When I bought them the shop told me most of their customers using them are seeing 7 years out of them. I know you said you didn't want to hear about the golf cart batteries but it seems like you may have changed your mind after hearing the price of the Rolls. My boat has 1292's and they've never had a problem cranking them.
    That’s the reason I never went wi Rolls I’ve had several charger failures over the years and cooked batteries. I wasn’t as lucky as you. My charger is on a Intermatic timer and comes on twice a day for 1 hour.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by mike.s View Post
    What 16 model Crown batteries did you use? Also, has anyone used Trojens, if so, haw many and what model?