Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: counter tops

Re: counter tops

If you are OK with going back with laminate I would suggest using Wilsonart Re-cover. You apply over the existing laminate and you don't have to deal with the demo or fumes. I have used it in medical applications including occupied ER's with no call backs. Also used in a court room once where we had to go in between sessions. You have to prep and clean the existing surfaces good but it has excellent adhesion and numerous patterns available

https://www.wilsonart.com/wilsonart-re-cover

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    The prior owner installed matching granite on all countertops in galley, dinette and heads. Looks beautiful
    With all of those unsecured bottles on the dining table, do you get to go out with your boat or just sit at the dock?
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

3. Re: counter tops

I used Epifanes rubbed effect varnish on the countertops and Gloss on the kitchen table. I restore wooden boats and find it to be the most durable.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

Quote Originally Posted by brico View Post
    With all of those unsecured bottles on the dining table, do you get to go out with your boat or just sit at the dock?
    I want to attest that Rusty does BOTH...

DAN

Thank you for all of the suggestions, I think im going to try a wood overlay instead of ripping out what is there. Does anyone know where to get the bathroom sinks, they are rather small and I don't think a big box store would have them. Would Sam's stock them?

Home depo had a replacement for mine.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    I did my galley, head, and v-berth sink with corian. I believe it was 1/2". We went over the existing surface and put it down with simple silicon. I was happy with the results. Here's a few pics of the project.

"Before" pics....
    Galley:
    Attachment 55573
    Attachment 55574
    Attachment 55575
    Thanks for this. Much appreciated. Were you able to find an undercounter sink that fit the same size as the old sink?

I know this is an older thread, but thought my tip might help. I just removed countertops in heads of our 1986 63MY.
    The countertops are glued and screwed down. Screws in through the bulkheads on either side. Countertop extends under the cabinetry.

I removed the sink. Used multi-tool to cut the front and back edges of the hole where the sink was located. Used multi-tool to plunge cut the
    entire back edge of countertop. Used a floor jack and 2x4 to gently raise the front edge of the countertop one section at a time. Countertop lifted
    out in 2 pieces. Front and side mounting screws pulled out and were cutaway with multi-tool metal blade.

John McCarley - USCG 100T Master
    Water Colors
    Wrightsville Wrightsville Beach NC
    Last edited by divert00; 02-18-2024 at 09:39 PM.

Great info, this is this summers interior project.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

All these countertops on my 1970 53 were built hatteras style… as in over built. Way over built. In my case since I gutted everything using a sawzall and sledge hammer. Maybe the later boats were built differently and it would be easier to just pull the counter tops.

Otherwise, anyone considering a remodel will be better off putting the new stone on top of the existing counter tops

For the heads, i used 1” thick Awlwooded mahogany with top side sinks. Actually it s not mahogany which is hard to find in wide plank but another hardwood. Utile maybe.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat