Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: counter tops

counter tops

Hello all; I have a 1979 46 ft sport fish. I am looking to update the counter tops in the galley and the two heads. Does anyone know how the counter tops are fastened down, I was not able to see any screws from underneath in the galley or heads, so im thinking they might be glued? also looking to get rid of the white sinks in the heads and replace with stainless, any ideas where I can get sinks that small??

Thank you!

Re: counter tops

Ours were glued or 5200’d.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

thats what i thought Sadey. are they glued to plywood base, thats what it looked like at a quick glance?

Seems like a giant hassle to rip 'em out. I might just go over the top with something like this in the heads and put in a really nice sink:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-...4925/304225555

With the money and hassle I save, I'll put granite in the galley.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

juiceclark, the old tops would still have to be removed, no or are you suggesting going over the existing?

Quote Originally Posted by workingonadream View Post
    juiceclark, the old tops would still have to be removed, no or are you suggesting going over the existing?
    I would just go over the top. I think an inch higher might even be better.
    However, I don't want it to stick out another inch in that already crowded space. So, I was thinking I'd cut the edge off the old counter - the part sticking out. Then, I'll glue down the new countertop and replace the old sink with one of those hand painted ceramic deals. New faucets.

That's probably 500 bucks and a valid improvement. This boat is such a brick schmithouse, I'm thinking anything is better than ripping that old counter out!

There's a thread in here somewhere about a guy who did it...ripped 'em out. The pics looks great but I recall him saying it was a PITA.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

I did my galley, head, and v-berth sink with corian. I believe it was 1/2". We went over the existing surface and put it down with simple silicon. I was happy with the results. Here's a few pics of the project.

"Before" pics....
    Galley:
    20170115_155345.jpg
    20170115_151320.jpg
    20170204_140217.jpg
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Prepping for cooktop and wall oven installation:

20170204_152352.jpg
    20170128_125102.jpg
    20170128_125115.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Bradley; 12-29-2021 at 12:08 PM.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau