Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: R22 compressors

Re: R22 compressors

Maybe it was labeled 417. I'm not sure, but it wasn't R22.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I bought two new direct expansion 16000 BTU units from Aqua Air in Florida. I called the factory, they built them and shipped the to me. They swapped out well, same foot print as the Lunair. It's been a few years but at that time they offered two Freon options. I wanted R-22 because I was only replacing the condensing units. If I remember correctly, the metering device in the evaporator was different depending on which option you choose. I had to run cat cable for the digital thermostats and remove the old Honeywell's. I have been extremely happy with them. Aqua had good customer service then. They sent me good manuals and answered a couple questions by phone.

I just checked Aqua Air's web page. It looks like they only offer units that use R-407C now. If you call they might build you a R-22 unit.

I found and purchased 4 new R22 compressors.
    The only other option was to switch to 410a which requires changing the capillary, or expansion valve and other components. My biggest worry was that due to the nature of the split systems, and the long runs of copper tubing there was the potential for leaks. R410a operates at much higher head pressures than R22.High side pressures for R22 are around 225LB and R410a is over 400lbs.
    My boat probably has original copper tubing and it is now 40 years old. Copper gets very brittle with age and a huge increase in operating pressures offers potential for line failures or leaks at the joints.

I also found out from talking to the guys at Flagship Marine in Florida during my search for compressors that R410a is about to be fazed out and no longer available due to new EPA regulations in the U.S. The only replacement available for A/C systems is a newer gas that is FLAMMABLE. Probably not a great idea for use in marine applications due to leaks. You would think that they would come up with a suitable and safe replacement gas before outlawing the old one.

Anyway I solved my A/C problem for now and will be going out tomorrow to the local A/C supply to buy a 20lb bottle of R22 gas that should last me a long time.
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 01-02-2022 at 09:54 PM.

Other than ammonia, Propane was a great refrigerant.
    People learned the hazard after a car wreck or two.

I have not heard of this new gas but I wonder if it is based on fossil fuel.
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 01-02-2022 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
    I also found out from talking to the guys at Flagship Marine in Florida during my search for compressors that R410a is about to be fazed out and no longer available due to new EPA regulations in the U.S. The only replacement available for A/C systems is a newer gas that is FLAMMABLE. Probably not a great idea for use in marine applications due to leaks. You would think that they would come up with a suitable and safe replacement gas before outlawing the old one.
    We can thank sleepy Joe Biden for passing the new regulation. The Man is a hazard.
    Anyway I solved my A/C problem for now and will be going out tomorrow to the local A/C supply to buy a 20lb bottle of R22 gas that should last me a long time.
    R-22 was safe and suitable until some politician joined the Montreal Protocol. Getting rid of R-22 in the 90's was supposed to stop global warming. I guess it did it is going to be 20 degrees in Louisiana tonight.

I have replaced 2 compressors last year or so. They are compatible with the rest of the system (think dryers were replaced) and use the R-22 drop in replacement. Tomorrow I can get info off the compressors as well as the drop in replacement number. Will also check with my AC guy (he has gray hair so trusted source) to see if availability of anything has changed.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Here are the two compressors I put in around 2 years ago.
    Attached Images
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

9. Re: R22 compressors

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Here are the two compressors I put in around 2 years ago.
    Hey Madhatter - I'm unable to read numbers off those pics - any chance you have a close up pic or the info directly?

Thanks in advance - Rob Maher