Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: R22 compressors

R22 compressors

Does anyone know where to find new A/C compressors for R22 systems???

Re: R22 compressors

You will not have a hard time finding a R22 compressor.
    Start with Grangers.com
    Then some simple internet searches.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
    Does anyone know where to find new A/C compressors for R22 systems???
    Assuming you're looking for a R22 compressor for a Cruisair A/C system. I just had a brand new 16 kW unit installed by local Chesapeake marine A/C repair service.

Should not be an issue locating one.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

I did internet search and not much out there. Mostly ebay retailers. Graingers is a bust.
    I was hoping someone here had purchased new R22 compressor for Cruisaire unit recently and could point me directly to the source.

I’ve bought a bunch of compressors from grainiers over the years but the last time they wouldn’t sell to me because I didn’t have a refrigeration license. Even though I told them I was buying it and having a licensed contractor installing it. R22 has become like gold and hard to get.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Other than industrial and large / custom equipment, R22/R417 compressors and parts are not made any more.
    What small stuff (ours), that is on the shelves is it.

Supply & demand are driving the prices to painful attitudes.

Grainger and others, are saving the compressors for their commercial buyers.

In the meantime, R410 prices are pretty low.

I put in a new compressor several years ago. It came with a 410 tag on it(I think). I hooked it all up and the A/C tech vacuumed it down and charged it from my tank of R22. It has worked great. He said it was the same compressor with just a tag on it to use the new refrigerant.

I bought it from Steve Pooler (SPCoolin on this forum) just before he died. He told me what to do. I miss that guy.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 12-26-2021 at 04:04 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I am down in the Caribbean and I can go to the local A/C shop and buy a 10lb bottle of R22 gas for
    $150 but they non longer sell the compressors. If I switch to 410a I need to buy new dryer, expansion valve or capillary, and, then clean out the whole system with nitrogen before filling.
    It will cost a lot more than just replacing the compressor.
    Still looking.

Quote Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
    I am down in the Caribbean and I can go to the local A/C shop and buy a 10lb bottle of R22 gas for
    $150 but they non longer sell the compressors. If I switch to 410a I need to buy new dryer, expansion valve or capillary, and, then clean out the whole system with nitrogen before filling.
    It will cost a lot more than just replacing the compressor.
    Still looking.
    I believe what Cheney is saying is that you can buy the R410 compressor and purge the R410a from the compressor and recharge with R22 and the compressor will work just fine on R22. That way you DO NOT have to change out all the other components.

I do know this is a viable solution as this was one of the options on mt recent compressor change out.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by JD5652 View Post
    I believe what Cheney is saying is that you can buy the R410 compressor and purge the R410a from the compressor and recharge with R22 and the compressor will work just fine on R22. That way you DO NOT have to change out all the other components.

I do know this is a viable solution as this was one of the options on mt recent compressor change out.
    There is a drastic change in compressor oils.
    There is a drastic change in compressor pressure levels.

There is nothing compatible between R410 and R22/417 equipment.
    Maybe a fuse and blower motor.