Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Considering Lithium Tender Battery

I知 considering on replacing the traditional battery in my tender with a lithium battery. Has anybody done this? Any thoughts? I知 looking to increase the time I can run the stereo while decreasing weight.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Re: Considering Lithium Tender Battery

I just bought one to use a trolling motor on my Nucanoe. Can't comment yet on how it works but it definitely is much lighter. I hear you need a waterproof battery box as any water can mess them up. I am working on that prior to launch.

Had a friend the got a very small lithium battery, I think a jet ski battery, and was able to fit it under the outboard motor housing, inside the motor. Worked great and no wires running around in the dingy. Motor was a 15 hp Honda. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I talked with a tech guy a Dakota Lithium today. Great info. The long and short is I知 buying the Dakota DL+12V 64Ah start/deep cycle. Comes with a built in BMS and I値l add the Bluetooth shunt to monitor the battery from my phone. I値l let you know how it goes.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

Last week a power cat went up in smoke and sank at Chub. The cause of the fire? Surfboard lithium battery

No idea what brand or where it was made... likely China but not ready to used them unless I have to
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The 787 was nicknamed sparky because of the batteries. One of the ways to prevent fires is to have a BMS (battery monitor system) which prevents over charging which is the source of heat that leads to a sparky event. Not sure if that was the case on the cat. I also hope no one was hurt.
    Last edited by Sadey; 12-23-2021 at 07:54 PM.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

The family escaped unharmed except for their dreams of a 6 months bahamas cruise.

We have an eFoil on the 116 I run, big lithium battery but made in the US with an industrial grade charger. I still only charge it in the ER, away from flammable sources
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

It's not the external heat that is a big problem, its the internal heat that can be generated during the charging process (thermal runaway). I'm assuming your thought process of an ER only charging station is the ER is a more self contained and fire ready room. That is great thinking!
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

Yes, safer place with auto fire system. I don稚 charge it after a run when the ER is hot but after it cools down. We have great blowers and the air con helps keeping it cool too.

The eFoil dealer recommended using a fire box for the battery. I may get one
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Pascal; 12-24-2021 at 08:00 AM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I thought Lithium batteries were for deep cycle loads and not typically a good choice for "starter" loads. Maybe my information is old or incorrect?