Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: I've never had a bad cutlass bearing...

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I replaced all six of mine for the price of the bearings. Well, I did have to cut the steel pieces and buy the all-thread to make the bearing pusher. And it did take a good part of the day to replace them. But it really isn't a bad job.
    If I was still in Louisiana that's what I would do but the FL yards won't allow DIY. Well there is one near me that does but 30K lbs is the max she will haul. When I get the price I may spend the fuel to go to a DIY yard even if I have to cross the Gulf. Bottom job cost me $1800 in LA (plus my labor) was 4 grand here in FL when I paid someone. I am not griping as I have made alot of money off of labor and experience over the years in the construction industry. Not saying it is a rip off. It is well earned money but I worked hard for mine and like to save it when it makes sense to me.

Going through this same thing. I was missing 150-200 rpm on both sides, and one engine was sporadically stalling when it went into gear. I spent $$$$$$$ on the engines to no effect.

Boat came out of the water to repair bent props and stub shafts from grounding on the way down to florida, at which point we realized what the problem is when it took 2 guys with a pipe wrench and another with a chain wrench to turn one shaft, and the other was impossible to turn even with tools. The driveline alignment was off on the side that wouldn't turn, the marina fixed that, the other one the alignment was in spec but they're still hard to turn by hand. I'm replacing all cutlass bearings. I don't think this is possible but looking at how many layers of paint are over the edges I think they may be original.

So no one except me changes the bearings in the thru-hull just aft of the coupling and align all FOUR points?
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    Going through this same thing. I was missing 150-200 rpm on both sides, and one engine was sporadically stalling when it went into gear. I spent $$$$$$$ on the engines to no effect.

Boat came out of the water to repair bent props and stub shafts from grounding on the way down to florida, at which point we realized what the problem is when it took 2 guys with a pipe wrench and another with a chain wrench to turn one shaft, and the other was impossible to turn even with tools. The driveline alignment was off on the side that wouldn't turn, the marina fixed that, the other one the alignment was in spec but they're still hard to turn by hand. I'm replacing all cutlass bearings. I don't think this is possible but looking at how many layers of paint are over the edges I think they may be original.
    Yep, sounds about right. For that bad bearing in the picture, I could almost hang from the prop without it spinning. I weigh 200 - and about 150 lbs was hanging on the edge of the prop before she'd turn.

BUT, I think the bent props were just as culpable though...if not more. What a mess. They weren't dented, just bent the wrong way. You couldn't even tell until you took a good, comparative look at them. Someone dragged them through the mud.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    So no one except me changes the bearings in the thru-hull just aft of the coupling and align all FOUR points?
    Bill,

How do you change the cutlass bearings at the shaft log without pulling the log fitting? I want to replace all 8 cutlass bearings on my 47 Commander before dropping the Cat 3208s in and lining them up. I will pull the shafts as I need to have the couplers modified anyways.

Thanks
    Warren
    1973 Chris-Craft 47 Commander
    1994 Sea Ray Laguna 16SC
    (wannabe Hatteras owner)

Brought her home today. (still no invoice yet) With new bearings, you can tell putting that port side into gear. It doesn't hesitate like it used to - fighting to get the prop spinning at idle RPM with that trashed bearing.

The trim tabs aren't working at all for some reason. Must've been a breaker thrown or something disturbed in all that work. So, I'll figure that out and get some performance #s with the new props. Trying to plane without tabs is a pointless endeavor, especially with full tanks. Even the transom platform drags in the water without the tabs down.
    That said, the bow starts rising at only 1,150rpm. She's gonna cruise nicely at 1,750 I think.
    1984 52C

On our 1989 52c. I have never used the tabs, have only used to balance when everyone sits on one side of boat.
    Getting on plane with full fuel is a breeze.
    Something does not make sense on the need for tabs, what are other 52c’s experiencing with the need for tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mather View Post
    On our 1989 52c. I have never used the tabs, have only used to balance when everyone sits on one side of boat.
    Something does not make sense on the need for tabs, what are other 52c’s experiencing with the need for tabs.
    I am sure I could get up on plane without, but they definitely add almost 2mph to the cruise speed.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mather View Post
    Yeah, there's something else going on too. Without the tabs down, the swim platform drags behind the boat. Still, with the bow coming up so easy, it should plane without anything.

I'm going to clean her up and fix about 10 things which don't seem to work all of a sudden after being at the yard for a month. Then, I'll take her out and put the hammer down. The only things left that could cause this reluctance to get over the hump are the tabs and boost...everything else has been gone through. I should just buy a boost gauge since it's so hard to get a tech out.
    1984 52C

Get a friend to either run the boat for you or if qualified do some checking of systems/operation while planning off or underway. there are so many simple things to check on any diesel. A charge air leak could drop enough boost to limit one engines ability to spool up, therefore limiting the other ones ability. Check everything over and over taking good notes. What does exhaust look like under different conditions, etc, etc?
    Bet you can find the smoking gun. If anything eliminate some possibilities without paying mechanic for so they can concentrate on engines themselves.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP