Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Still looking for my Hatteras

Still searching for a Hatteras. Given I am a newbie , retired and just turned 68 looking at a1987 54' MY listed in boat trader for 169K, which looks like it is a cockpit model. Although I like the classic 53' Hatteras MY wondering if the cockpit model is better suited for me given it has no ladders to climb. Would love any feedback and input in terms of the ER accessibility , performance issues ( in some threads mentioned about some difficulty in tight spaces). Are stabilizers/and or bow thrusters a good option to look for. Appreciate your expert input.
    Thanks
    If you have any knowledge of the boat can PM me as well.

Re: Still looking for my Hatteras

That looks like a regular 54MY does not have a cockpit. If you are going to do any running in the ocean or on the Great Lakes the. Stabilizers are really important to have.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Not an expert but it looks like it has 8v92's with 3,000 plus hours. I have been told these motors are more hopped up than some of the other models and don't last much beyond those hours. But at the same time I have been told it all depends on how they were cared for. In other words getting them checked out would be very important.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

The jury is somewhat out on DD 92s- they seem more sensitive to overheating than 71 series DDs. I think most agree that with old diesels of any brand, a thorough engine survey is absolutely essential. Maintenance and service/overhaul records are also very useful.

All other things being equal, which they seldom, if ever, are, 92 series DDs which are cranked up to maximum output, have a shorter life than similar engines with smaller injectors, lower boost pressures, and lower power outputs. DDs which are NOT turbocharged seem to last damn near forever. However, you will not find those in a later Hatteras MY- and the 53 MYs which had DD naturals are slower than the ones with TI or TA diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Not an expert but it looks like it has 8v92's with 3,000 plus hours. I have been told these motors are more hopped up than some of the other models and don't last much beyond those hours. But at the same time I have been told it all depends on how they were cared for. In other words getting them checked out would be very important.
    In reality age and lack of use are worse for these engines than hours run. I had friends when these engines were new in 52C’s and 55 oceans that ran them to 6-7000 hours. But these were boats that ran the offshore canyons in the summer then fished Florida in the winter. And these boats all ran hard. But you leave an engine sit with damp air filtering through the exhaust and the damp environment a boat just naturally lives in rust starts to form the minute the engines are shut down. Then there’s the problem of age on the seals and gaskets. And this is the death of most 92 series. 92’s like the old 53 series are wet liner engines. The thinking at the time was the cylinders would run cooler and last longer than the dry liner 71 series. This became problematic because the rubber oring seals would fail and leak coolant into the oil. Even today coolant maintenance is extremely important in 92 series. And don’t ever let them overheat. But still it’s not uncommon to see engine with 20 or more years since overhaul. How long rubber and seals last who knows but it’s not forever.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Don't generalize about 92's. They are great engines if properly maintained. I just pulled out a set of 6v92's with over 36 years and 5000 hours on them. You can't expect any diesel to last forever if you don't do the maintenance. Its the neglected ones that fail prematurely.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have been running my 8v92’s for the last 12 years and they have been solid and dependable. Our annual Oil analysis provides a good history and shows are engines are still in good health. I can attest, keep up with the maintenance, keep running them and they will treat you well…true with so many things in life.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Don't generalize about 92's. They are great engines if properly maintained. I just pulled out a set of 6v92's with over 36 years and 5000 hours on them. You can't expect any diesel to last forever if you don't do the maintenance. Its the neglected ones that fail prematurely.
    One of the positives of the 92 is you can overhaul them indefinitely. 71 series is limited to 5 I believe overhauls since you have to increase the liner size with each OH
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Here's a data point for you. I have 1988 8-92's with 2850 hours. Start instantly, zero or 5 seconds of smoke on a cold start, purr (ok, growl) like a (very large) kitten.

we are getting ready to sell our 1972 53 HMY. Vita Felice. DD8v71N. If anyone has any interest in this year and model let me know. We can send pics. New hull paint awlgrip 2 years ago. Good condition currently located Shelter Cove SC