Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Replacing Forward Portlights - 1976 58 LRC

I have to replace both my forward portlights since they were blown out in Delaware Bay. When I looked at the ones I have in my "stock", I found out that they are basically one piece with the trim ring being on the outside. Looking at the currently installed portlights (whatever is left of them), I had previously thought that the hatch was attached to the internal trim ring that was screwed into the boat hull and the outer "trim ring" was attached to the outer "overhang".

I had thought I could just do the portlight replacement from the inside only, but it appears now I will also need to have access to the outside.... meaning now planning to do this when the boat is hauled to do the stabilizers or try to bring the bow close enough to the dock to reach the portlight from the outside.

Does anyone have any photos of doing this or any words of wisdom from previous experience doing this?

Thanks in advance!
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Re: Replacing Forward Portlights - 1976 58 LRC

I originally posted this up in December 2021....got no responses. Now I'm diving into it.

I've removed all the mounting screws from inside flange. My first thought and attempt as to see if I could simply pry the old portlight and frame out of the opening. I should have thought better. I'm thinking there's likely 5200 all around the frame where it passes through the hull.

I'm thinking my next step is to use a multi-tool and cut the frame in numerous section and remove each section. I can estimate the depth I need to go using the new portlight.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions??

Port Portlight Removal 04.jpgPort Portlight Removal 02.jpgPort Portlight Removal 05.jpgPort Portlight Removal 04.jpgPort Portlight Removal 02.jpgPort Portlight Removal 05.jpg
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Well.... sometimes you just have to trust your gut and go for it....

Port Portlight Removal 06.jpgPort Portlight Removal 08.jpgPort Portlight Removal 09.jpg
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Dry fit of the new portlight....
    Attached Images
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Now to clean up the opening and prep it for sealing.... think I'm going to go with Dow Corning 795.. I have excellent results with this product over the years...albeit primarily for window sealing.

Any other thoughts on the sealant?

I have to say that whatever was used originally at the factory was still pliable and doing its job after 46 years...
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

JD,

Sorry I missed your post for information on doing this project, because I would have been able to tell you EXACTLY what you found out. Multi-tool and a bunch of wide pry-bars and the entire assembly will come out from the inside, leaving the outside trim ring intact.

I did my starboard side about 6 months ago. Just noticed I may need to do the port side as well, but I may be able to save that one with a touch of epoxy.

Has me wondering about all the other port lights. Clearly the bow is the most critical as it's the most likely to allow a wave to dump large amounts of water into the boat.

Got to love all the surprises these older girls bring us.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post

Yep.
    Let them be fair and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
    JD,

Sorry I missed your post for information on doing this project, because I would have been able to tell you EXACTLY what you found out. Multi-tool and a bunch of wide pry-bars and the entire assembly will come out from the inside, leaving the outside trim ring intact.

I did my starboard side about 6 months ago. Just noticed I may need to do the port side as well, but I may be able to save that one with a touch of epoxy.

Has me wondering about all the other port lights. Clearly the bow is the most critical as it's the most likely to allow a wave to dump large amounts of water into the boat.

Zig-

What sealant did you use?

Also, did you put sealant along the entire surface of portlight opening. On the original install there was only sealant on the outer edge for about 1 inch.

Thanks!
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL