Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water leaking on port side wall behind exhaust in master bedroom - 1980 61'

We were filling the fresh water tank in dock today. The tank gauge wasn't working so it filled until overflow water exited the port side.

After an hour we noticed water on the carpet portside next to the master bed. After we took those panels off to see where the water was coming from, we noticed it was slowing filling the space.

We can't see on the other side of the mufflers/exhaust tanks.

Anyone know what water lines might be back there that could have ruptured?

Any help is appreciated. The wood was dry rotted behind there so we could feel that on the port side wall.

Thanks, BIG Wave NOLA

Re: Water leaking on port side wall behind exhaust in master bedroom - 1980 61'

I have the same boat . You can easily rupture the lower water tank while filling it . It separates at a seam usually at the top . You have to fill the tanks very slowly. That said , If water is on the carpet and under the mufflers , this is a different problem. The vent line is behind the muffler, running parallel with the wiring to the aft of the boat , I doubt that it ruptured. Water on the sole under the pipes and muffler is usually from the joints at the exhaust hoses . The fiberglass exhaust pipe could be cracked from over tightening without a crush sleeve installed. I am dealing with this as we speak. Filling the water tank from empty could make the exhaust more underwater, and expose a problem. If the water tank is cracked, the aft bilge pump would keep the water level well below the carpet , but check your aft bilge anyway.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Those Fill lines have been known to crack. Make sure you check those.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

could it be the exhaust leaking into the boat since you filled the tank and she is sitting lower in the water? i found this on my boat when we had a party with about 20 people and the ass end squatted enough to make the exhaust hose fill with water
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

We have the same boat. Suggestions... check that the exhaust bellows from engine room is not leaking. Also check port rudder gland is not leaking. Is it salt or fresh water? Get a pump in and remove water. A blower will help dry it out. Then fill up with freshwater again. If no water leak, run motor and see what happens.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Same boat, ours is doing the same. We have narrowed it to definitely happens only when it rains…. Guess I’ll have to wait until another rain storm to climb in and inspect
    1985 61MY #369 / Redonna Gail / N Myrtle Beach SC

Check the caulking on the aft quarter lower spray rail. They are through bolted and can leak.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I had the same problem. Filled the water tanks before we left the dock and then later on that night I was getting into bed and my foot went squish. It happens on the port side because that's where the fill hose is, the hose from the deck fill to the tank is rubber and cracks with age. Replace the hose and you're good to go. I was slammed with work and had the marina do it, and it still wasn't that expensive, less than a boat buck. Fixed the problem.

Until you have it fixed the workaround is just to fill the tanks slowly. On my boat it wouldn't happen until the water started backing up into the hose. You're going to want this fixed regardless, these boats carry a lot of water compared to other boats this size, I think 280 gallons. It already took 40 minutes to fill it up with the hose on full blast. Trying to nurse it before I had the problem fixed took almost 2 hours. It wasn't real practical. After the rubber fill hose was replaced I can fill it as fast as it will go and no more leaks.

Our boat is a 1986 54'- our water tank vent line leaks if I overflow the tank while filling. I have a leak in the master head on the same bulkhead as the shower stall, and the common factor seems to be any time I wash down, and there's any water pooled on the port companionway at the fantail door. I believe there may be a leak under the door panel, or there's a leak in the scupper right there. The leak only happens when there's any water standing right at the door panel.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Good call Skycheney the lower spray rail was the culprit in my situation...!!!
    1985 61MY #369 / Redonna Gail / N Myrtle Beach SC