Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Leak coming from air intake plenums - 1997 50C

I own a 1997 50C and in the process of having the interior updated i noticed a large amount of water is coming into my salon from the air plenums on the exterior both port and stbd. it appears to be getting worse. Just wondering if any other on this site have experienced a similar situation and what they did to correct the issue. I cannot pin point exactly where its coming from but the only joint (caulk) is where the plenum meets the hull side. I only assume it must be coming from there?

See attached photos and any help is appreciated.

air plenum stbd.jpginterior stbd.jpginterior stbd 2.jpg

Re: Leak coming from air intake plenums - 1997 50C

Ouch.
    Sorry that is happening.
    Is there an internal airbox drain?

In my '84 52C, whenever I wash the flybridge I hear lots of water gurgling behind the walls.

Somewhere up there is a flybridge drain; you may wish to consider that...

DAN

Quote Originally Posted by drburke View Post
    In my '84 52C, whenever I wash the flybridge I hear lots of water gurgling behind the walls.

Somewhere up there is a flybridge drain; you may wish to consider that...

DAN
    Now there is a thought..
    And it would make more sense that a leak from above is causing these issues.

Unfortunately there is no drain in the air boxes but i am sure i could add one easy enough. Also, i confirmed that the leak was not coming from the bridge before i moved down to the air boxes. It's definitely the air boxes. All i can think to do is caulk the heck out of the one joint i can find and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by mbowen View Post
    Unfortunately there is no drain in the air boxes but i am sure i could add one easy enough. Also, i confirmed that the leak was not coming from the bridge before i moved down to the air boxes. It's definitely the air boxes. All i can think to do is caulk the heck out of the one joint i can find and hope for the best.
    Can you get to the crack from the inside? Maybe lay some glass & epoxy on it to keep the crack from spreading.

Flashlights and mirrors while on the inside with mate on the outside with a water hose may help ensure you your attacking the correct place.