Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Gumby Suit for Sale

I have an older "Gumby", survival suit for sale. It was Canadian issue and is in good shape. No clue what it is worth, so I am mostly inquiringing if anyone would be interested. I will not ever use it and have not ever used it in the past. It has sat in a closet!

Thoughts or interest. Note: Sorry no pix; but will get some!
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Re: Gumby Suit for Sale

I have two used ones that I paid $200 each for, FYI.

Thoughts: I nearly got trapped in it. I am a little taller than standard Large, so when I put it on I hunched down my shoulders and stood up.

But due to the arms and mittens, I could not get out of it! It was just impossible to reach around and pull down the collar, so I really thought I might have to go find a neighbor while wearing this ridiculous orange foam thing.

Finally I was able to back up to a door and wedge a corner in to pry it off. Word to the wise...

DAN

3. Cool Re: Gumby Suit for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by drburke View Post
    I have two used ones that I paid $200 each for, FYI.

Thoughts: I nearly got trapped in it. I am a little taller than standard Large, so when I put it on I hunched down my shoulders and stood up.

But due to the arms and mittens, I could not get out of it! It was just impossible to reach around and pull down the collar, so I really thought I might have to go find a neighbor while wearing this ridiculous orange foam thing.

Finally I was able to back up to a door and wedge a corner in to pry it off. Word to the wise...

DAN
    This really needs video
    Beachcomber
    Former 3 Hat owner
    Home port Paducah, KY

Re: Gumby Suit for Sale

When I was 17 I worked on a scallop boat out of Cape May NJ we had to demonstrate putting on the suit in so many seconds and jump over the side. The suit fills with water and IDK that IRL it will save you or drown you.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present