Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Milky diesel fuel

Any experience in dealing with water emulsified diesel fuel.
    Any post will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Wit
    Last edited by witold933252763; 11-28-2021 at 11:48 PM.

Re: Milky diesel fuel

We are in Antioch a few miles up river. We have a master Diesel mechanic name Charlie that could be your saving grace. If you need his number just reply.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Hi Seven
    Please send me the mechanics name and number.
    Thanks
    Wit

I don’t want to over load his phone, so call me direct and I’ll give you the number or send me your cell number and I’ll text it over to you. 650-619-2308. Rusty
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Sounds like a fuel cooler issue.

About 2 years ago we had a problem with what appeared to be 'emulsified' fuel in the aft tank. The stuff looked like strawberry milk. We spoke with a fuel polishing expert (ha, ha!) at the Va Beach boat show and he stated that the problem was water in the fuel. A friend of mine runs an environmental lab and we gave him a sample to analyze. Turns out that there was no detectable water in the fuel, fresh or saltwater. I had the aft tank emptied and cleaned and we put another 50 gallons of clean diesel in the tank. Ran the boat for five minutes and had the same problem. I eventually figured out that it was an air leak in the fuel return line (i.e. there was no fuel leaking on the suction side). I replaced the old copper tubing with fuel hose and the problem disappeared immediately.

Obviously, the point is that you may not want to assume that water in your fuel that is causing the problem.
    Michael & Cindy Ewing
    Southern Comfort
    1977 Hatteras 58YF
    Hull # HATAN 432