Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hoses and lines

Hoses and lines

I’d like to start replacing hose and oil, fuel lines of relatively unknown vintage.

Raw water intake hoses are definitely the newest, but the hoses between the pipe sections on the cooling system could stand to be replaced, if only for piece of mind.

Any advice? Where to start, common issues, etc…

Is this better as a winter project up north here or an in water project?

Engines are a pair of J/T 6-71Ns.

Thanks!
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Re: Hoses and lines

use silicon hose where possible, it is superior to rubber and much easier to work with
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

I would start with a through visual inspection and replace any noticeably bad ones first, if you are not making a one and done project out of it. I would say start with the turbo oil lines but looks like you don't have those.

Don't let anyone talk you into using the fuel lines with the woven ss exterior. They're easy to use, very flexible. I got talked into it and had one fail 100 miles out while fishing. The SS coating protects the inner fuel line, but the walls of the inner line are thin and stiff plastic. The vibration of the engines caused the ss coating to wear through the inner wall after about 3 seasons of use. Stick with traditional fuel lines.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Don't let anyone talk you into using the fuel lines with the woven ss exterior...
    Bob's right.

And they are *NOT* ABYC approved for marine fuel systems, so may invalidate your insurance. I had a survey tag mine as non-compliant in the past.

Stay with what is designed for boats and approved.

DAN

Ok, so, I looked over the engines this weekend, and I think I thought that this was more complicated than it is.

My plan is going to be to drain the coolant down, and then remove the current cooling system pipes and connecting sections of hose.

I plan to clean up and repaint the pipe sections. If they turn out to be badly corroded when I get them apart, is it more typical to replace them or just solder repair pin holes, etc?

For hose, I am thinking 2" Trident 202V blue silicone hose, with Trident 720 T-bolt clamps.

Two total clamps per hose section on the coolant system, is that correct? Not double clamped like the exhaust system.

Some of these connection pieces are only 3" long, it is mostly pipe.

Thanks for the input!
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Pinholes lead to more pinholes, replace the pipe.
    We use 2 hose clamps everywhere there's enough space for them to fit no matter what hose or application is being clamped.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

OK here’s a total amateur question if you are replacing fuel lines will you have to bleed the engine of air bubbles or should you use a syringe to fill the fuel line with fuel?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    OK here’s a total amateur question if you are replacing fuel lines will you have to bleed the engine of air bubbles or should you use a syringe to fill the fuel line with fuel?
    Haven't head of the syringe trick before but the more fuel in the lines the less air you have to bleed out. I always try to fill filters on any diesel I have with fuel prior to installing. If you have an electric priming pump on the fuel system it makes bleeding much faster.

I would replace any sections of hard tubing that looks suspect. Some companies that did the marine conversions used mild steel tubing and some were hard copper. Double check the tube that runs from the heat exchanger to the circulating pump.