Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buzzing breaker

Buzzing breaker

For the last couple of weeks the main breaker on my electrical panel, started making an occasional buzzing sound especially when a chiller would start. It s a 50 amp triple pole Blue Seas CB which protects the shorepower coming in. It’s right behind the Shorepower inlet by the stairs going down with just 18” of wiring between the inlet and the panel and breaker. I ordered a new one but didn’t have time to replace it. Until last night when it would start tripping at mid load. Old one looked fine externally, felt right as well. Only 4 years old. Pretty lousy quality compared to the old Hatteras installed CBs which lasted decades
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Buzzing breaker

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    For the last couple of weeks the main breaker on my electrical panel, started making an occasional buzzing sound especially when a chiller would start. It s a 50 amp triple pole Blue Seas CB which protects the shorepower coming in. It’s right behind the Shorepower inlet by the stairs going down with just 18” of wiring between the inlet and the panel and breaker. I ordered a new one but didn’t have time to replace it. Until last night when it would start tripping at mid load. Old one looked fine externally, felt right as well. Only 4 years old. Pretty lousy quality compared to the old Hatteras installed CBs which lasted decades
    Makes me glad I kept the original shot gun inlet fuses.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Lol that s panel breaker not an inlet breaker. But sure they can fail too. At least they won’t start a fire ....
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Lol that s panel breaker not an inlet breaker. But sure they can fail too. At least they won’t start a fire ....
    They could.
    Sky Cheney

Breakers trip when heat builds up killing power and the heating process. Fuses fail when corrosion sets triggering heat on the terminals but won’t necessarily burn up.

We heard of a number of hatts with fire damage from fuses, never from breakers
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

could that buzzing that you heard possibly be arcing?? better change it before a fire starts
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Changed already. It wasn’t hot or even warm to the touch. But yea the buzzing was a red flag
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Do you have separate inlet breakers or does it go directly to the panel? Does it meet the new codes (ELCI)?
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Do you have separate inlet breakers or does it go directly to the panel? Does it meet the new codes (ELCI)?
    As mentioned I relocated the inlet right outside the new panel. Only 18” of wiring between the inlet and the main panel, well within the ABYC standards of 8’

No ELCI. Not mandatory on existing boats but home marina has all new electrical and very sensitive GFCIs causing a bunch of issues on many boats. Mine has never tripped it
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

... Fuses fail when corrosion sets triggering heat on the terminals but won’t necessarily burn up.

We heard of a number of hatts with fire damage from fuses, never from breakers
    A little off topic, but I have been meaning to post this. My boat came with a whole box of dead shotgun fuses. The PO simply replaced them every 6 months or so on the West Coast when they would go open circuit.

When investigating, I learned that the end caps screw off, and the internal end connections would build up crud on the brass and go open.

So, I polished off the oxidation with sandpaper/abrasive and restored operation, and now my maintenance is to simply preemptively replace or renew every year. Pretty easy to do now that I have a whole box of renovated fuses.

FYI.

DAN