Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Windlass Replacement

We currently have the factory Galleymaid windlass on our 46c. The wife has never cared much for recovering the anchor. Especially the chain that comes up by hand.

Has anyone retrofitted a self storing windlass with a chain gypsy on a 46?

Re: Windlass Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Chad View Post
    We currently have the factory Galleymaid windlass on our 46c. The wife has never cared much for recovering the anchor. Especially the chain that comes up by hand.

Has anyone retrofitted a self storing windlass with a chain gypsy on a 46?
    Send the windlass into GalleyMaid, they will rebuild it with a longer shaft and a wildcat so you can run all chain.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Looking at their windlasses with the wildcat under the capstan on line I like the idea. So then I just fab up a SS pipe at an angle that will let the weight of the chain take it into the locker?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Chad View Post
    Looking at their windlasses with the wildcat under the capstan on line I like the idea. So then I just fab up a SS pipe at an angle that will let the weight of the chain take it into the locker?
    They will send back the hawse pipe and a new electrical control box and foot switches.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I m glad I had my galley maid rebuilt. It already had the chain wildcat. It was 30 years old when I brought it to them. Contrast that with a pair of Maxwell 4000 on the boat i run which are making awful noises and just 11 years old
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I like it. Thanks for the information.

I just changed out my galley maid to a Good Automatic windlass. Most work was removed the old windlass and it was in great shape. Operating it with wireless controls and still have foot switch for “up”. Need to add one for down. Good supplies each windlass with rope and chain combo. You would need the 850-C-DW.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I like the idea of Galley Maid rebuilding them. On my 43 DC I only have power up and no wildcat. And no hawse pipe. Things can be a bit hairy cutting that anchor loose. And then when retrieving the chain likes to get squirrelly in the capstan when the rode comes in. Not to mention the mess on the deck due to no hawse pipe.

If anchor out frequently the right windlass requiring no human help is not just a convenience but a safety item. I would never own a boat with it. Just as important is being able to control the windlass from the helm(s) so you don’t need to have somebody on deck in weather
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Speaking of rebuilding, my Ideal Windlass will need to be refurbed soon (Galley Maid is a clone). There was a time when the company repairs seemed to be down to a few old guys months behind.

Since that time, Ideal has been acquired by Schaefer Marine and seems to be doing pretty well.

I like the idea of old-school US hardware over newer China stuff, even if more expensive up front.

https://www.schaefermarine.com/our-p...deal-windlass/

DAN