Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Windlass Replacement

I agree 100% Pascal. I have left the bridge myself in a couple instances just because I didn't want anyone else on the forward deck. Not an ideal situation. Especially in the wind. A thin layer of ice on deck makes everything big fun.

OK, I got my Galley Maid education from Rick at GM yesterday.

If you have rectangular gear box you are out of luck. They can't get them apart to retrofit the longer shaft. If you have the newer style rounded gearbox they can modify it for you.

Mine is of course rectangular.

So... $5500 before tax and shipping to get the same size windlass with the chain gypsy and the chain tube. That's a lot. Not sure what I'm going to do at this point.

I just went thought this in May. My Ideal needed a complete rebuild. New unit was $6500 plus install, tax and shipping.

Had a local machine shop tear the old one down, install replacement parts from Schaefer, and reinstall. While I was at it, I sent the top half to a plate shop for re-chroming. Cost for the machine shop was $4200. The chrome was another $590. Not cheap but money well spent.
    Last edited by Passages; 12-07-2021 at 01:01 PM.

So, there is pretty much no Galleymaid 12v stuff available at this point. Ideal wants a little over 11g just for the windlass.

I know some boats with the Good older style horizontal windlass that have had some problems. Is the Good vertical windlass that much better?

I've been told to stay away from Lewmar.

I'm really concerned with being able to fit a new windlass and a chain/hawse pipe on top of the back of the pulpit where the Galleymaid is currently.

Avoid Anchorlift like the plague! Terrible quality.
    https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...ght=anchorlift
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Chad View Post
    So, there is pretty much no Galleymaid 12v stuff available at this point. Ideal wants a little over 11g just for the windlass.

I know some boats with the Good older style horizontal windlass that have had some problems. Is the Good vertical windlass that much better?

I've been told to stay away from Lewmar.

I'm really concerned with being able to fit a new windlass and a chain/hawse pipe on top of the back of the pulpit where the Galleymaid is currently.
    Yeah the thickness of the pulpit is a problem Have you contacted Rick at GM? He rebuilt mine 3 or 4 years ago and converted the motor to 24 V. I still have the 32v motor and solenoids if anytime needs them
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Yeah the thickness of the pulpit is a problem Have you contacted Rick at GM? He rebuilt mine 3 or 4 years ago and converted the motor to 24 V. I still have the 32v motor and solenoids if anytime needs them
    Pascal. Look at the first part of this thread. That's where he started.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Unless you want to redo the whole bow pulpit setup on your boat, you are probably going to find that you don't have much of a choice except buying a new windlass from galley maid. This is one of the handful of things like the Hynautic K-21 steering ram, where the vendor custom designed it to fit what Hatteras wanted so there's only one place where you can get it.

Last time I looked into this, nobody but GM makes a windlass with a long enough shaft to fit the distance between mounting platform for the capstan section on the pulpit and the drive section in the anchor locker. They're likely your only option if you want that high end flush-mount vertical look.

If you don't care how it looks, you can always just get one of those horizontal windlasses where it's all one big piece and do it that way, but they're kind of ugly.

Anyone use a Good Windless?
    I believe they have started making larger boat ones.
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ

I have a Good F850C windlass on my Hatteras 32 Flybridge and love it. Tom Ring (the company owner) and his son drove down to NC, stayed at my house for two days, and did a flawless installation. My boat did not have a windlass or pulpit before that. Problem free for one year. Highly recommend.