Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

MDL4 Generator Fuel Transfer Pump

My old Onan MDL4 fuel transfer pump has sprung a leak. I'm not having any luck locating a replacement. It was suggested to me to purchase a 24V Facet fuel pump to plumb into the system. There appear to be pumps on the Facet website that meet the criteria for PSI and voltage. I'm wondering if anyone has done this and how it worked? If so, where did you wire the power to the pump from?
    TANGO
    1991 Hatteras 52 CMY
    Beaufort, NC 28516

Re: MDL4 Generator Fuel Transfer Pump

i did it years ago with my 15 kw onan. she was 12 volt. i made a block off plate for where the original pump mounted ans wired it to the fuel solenoid. worked great
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Repair diaphragm kit on e-bay. I have fixed one pump before.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/202314294126

Or, Ask your Cummins/Oh-no rep for the repair kit (not the whole pump) from them.

Just did this a couple months ago. Super easy, make a plate to block fuel transfer pump hole on the block. I bought a 12v facet style cube electric fuel pump 2-4 psi off ebay for $15.95. Easy to plumb in with a little extra fuel line, even retained original filter. Pulled power from the oil pressure switch terminal. Bought a spare pump so all in was less than $40. Repair kit alone for the mech transfer pump is like $160. No brainer switch it out.

the electric pump will also aid in priming after a filter change
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

My thanks to all. I've located original replacement in NY...$950! I'm afraid to ask Santa for one under the tree so going to go the 24V route. Found a Facet that looks like a fit. If someone has detailed directions on how to wire it for power I'd be grateful.
    TANGO
    1991 Hatteras 52 CMY
    Beaufort, NC 28516

Quote Originally Posted by FlyNavyAir View Post
    My thanks to all. I've located original replacement in NY...$950! I'm afraid to ask Santa for one under the tree so going to go the 24V route. Found a Facet that looks like a fit. If someone has detailed directions on how to wire it for power I'd be grateful.
    May I ask for the old fuel pump core?