Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

40 foot aft cabin draft

I looked at a 1996 40 aft cabin and the broker said the boat had a draft of 4' 9" is this correct. If this is correct it is to much for my marina.
    Thanks Sam

Re: 40 foot aft cabin draft

That can’t be right, the 53’s only have a draft of 4’ and they’re a lot heavier. I’d guess more like 3’

3. Re: 40 foot aft cabin draft

The buyers guide from the brochures page says 4’ 9”
    Beachcomber
    Former 3 Hat owner
    Home port Paducah, KY

I just purchased a 1987 40 aft. The catalog says 4'9" but the guy I bought it from swears its closer to 3'. It came from the S Shore of LI where the waters are shallow, and I only hit the sandy bottom once and just barely in the Moriches bay on my way to CT. He says he never would have bought it if it was that deep of a draft and he is a lifelong boater. I know this is not a conclusive answer BUT i do plan to measure mine as soon as I can and I will let you know when I do. I think the hulls were basically the same in 87 through the 90s.

I just sold my 1987 40' double cabin. With twin Crusaders and a 6,5 KW Onan, draft was around 4'6".Remember the weight of the fuel, fresh water, waste water and gear can make a difference. It is not anywhere near 3'
    BobWaz
    1987 40 DC #322
    Knot Again!
    Champlain, NY

Thank you for your help, I can work with a draft of 3' 8" no more.
    I can't make a offer till I know.
    Thanks Sam

I plan to get in the water this weekend to check my porpellers, I will give you my best measurement!

might be apples to oranges but
    my 1973 38' version of that design weighing 33k and big keel is a tad over 3' 6"
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

Quote Originally Posted by 1202sam View Post
    Thank you for your help, I can work with a draft of 3' 8" no more.
    I can't make a offer till I know.
    Thanks Sam
    Then keep looking. They draft a bunch, even more than larger Hatt's. I believe the specs are in the brochures archive, and the first time I read the draft, I thought it was a typo. It isn't.

That's a Jim Wynne design, not a Hargrave. Great boats, but they do require some depth.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Jonaron View Post
    I just purchased a 1987 40 aft. The catalog says 4'9" but the guy I bought it from swears its closer to 3'. It came from the S Shore of LI where the waters are shallow, and I only hit the sandy bottom once and just barely in the Moriches bay on my way to CT. He says he never would have bought it if it was that deep of a draft and he is a lifelong boater. I know this is not a conclusive answer BUT i do plan to measure mine as soon as I can and I will let you know when I do. I think the hulls were basically the same in 87 through the 90s.
    I promise you it's not closer to 3. Don't find out the hard way. Just saying.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93