Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: What engine oils are people using.

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Either one looks good compared to Rotella - which must be $175 by now.

Something tells me Napa's 20% Black Friday sale doesn't apply to 15 gallons of oil.
    I remember NAPAs discount gimmick, Purchase a 5 gallon NAPA bucket and anything that could fit into it would get some impressive discount. I walked the 5 gallon bucket and a 5 gallon pail of oil to the counter and ask the manager if he really needed me to pour the oil in or take my word for it.

I am sure, you walk up and ask, they can offer a little discount for 3 pails and filters.
    Wix makes the NAPA filters also. Good stuff.

Napa 75118 for me. The label says that it meets specs for detroit diesel 2 stroke 53, 71, 92, and 149. The local Napa now stocks 3, 5gallon pails. I like to think it is because I asked them to. I bought all 3 last time I was in to support them. I did not feel like it would be cheaper in the future so why wait.

Napa sells their own, and any Napa store can order you the 5 gallon buckets of delo, rotella, delvac, or there’s a new one from sinopec that meets cf2, it takes them +/- 2 days to get it. At my local store there are usually plenty of buckets and 1gal jugs around, although I imagine that’s got a lot to do with how close the store is to a marina. I don’t understand when people are saying they can’t get oil for detroits, just go the Napa parts counter and you’re set. Schaeffer Oil has the holy grail, a cf-2 rated straight 40 full synthetic, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense cost-wise, unless you run fishing charters or something you’ll still end up changing the oil before you get that kind of use out of it. Plus the always-a-crapshoot “will synthetic cause leaks everywhere?” problem. In my other boat I run the schaeffer because I’d just rebuilt both engines so all the seals were new. No leaks but that’s expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    I’d be careful with that one, you really want sulfated ash content under 1 to avoid premature liner wear. Rotella is barely in spec right at 1, and unless I have found the wrong product it looks like this is over by 40%.

https://www.mobil.com/en-bg/marine/p...ard-adl-series

CD585786-D2C2-4348-832A-9DA46260B547.jpg

Schaeffer’s sae 40 is cf-2 rated if you really want a synthetic.

The Schaeffer oil is @ 1.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    The Schaeffer oil is @ 1.2.
    Shows you how much I pay attention, it said cf2 on the bucket so I believed it. It’s only when it’s missing the rating I go looking for the ash content.

A lot more than Ash numbers in CF2 oil. Anti foaming and shear tolerant make big points. Other factors keep the piston, rings and liner lubed when the cylinder is scavenged.

That extra anti foaming is why I use it in clutches that require straight 30 or 40W oil.

Heck, I used it in mowers and tractors. Anything that requires a straight weight oil. Never any issues.

I’ve been using Phillips 66 T5X 40 wt- has ash content of .9. Buy it in Houston from Apache oil- last time I bought it it was in the $70,s.

If you are looking for a good read on the testing of Oil Testing both Auto and Diesel goggle
    540 Rat
    it is an old gear head that test oil some of the results will surprise you
    He is also a mechanical engineer